Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Juhani Ränkimies <ju...@juranki.com> on 2010/04/01 00:08:37 UTC

Re: (lack of) couchdb windows binaries

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we have three separate issues that are all entangled in a little mess:
>
> 1) Supporting Windows.
> 2) Making all tests pass on Windows.
> 3) Making an official CouchDB binary release for Windows.
>    3.1) Legal issues with said binary release.

Agreed.

> Action plan. Here's what I say we should do:
>
>  - Vote on Mark's installer for 0.11.0; on success, release it.
>    - Add big fat warning about the limitations to the downloads page.
>  - Commit COUCHDB-86 to trunk and 0.11.x (after review).
>  - Later, when 0.11.1 is released, we can remove the big fat warning.
>
> Alternative action plan:
>
>  - Review COUCHDB-86 & commit it to trunk and 0.11.x.
>  - Bundle 0.11.1 as both a source and Windows binary release and vote on it.
>  - Releaseparty.
>
> The first plan gives us an official Windows installer earlier. The second plan would
> mean we wouldn't get a binary Windows release for 0.11.0 and only 0.11.1.
>
> I'm supporting the first.

I like the second plan more.

Mark prepared the installer and it serves well, providing windows
users with an easy way to play with 0.11.0. Adding 'official' stamp
retrospectively doesn't add much value, IMO.

I'd rather focus on squishing COUCHDB-86 and then getting the release
right. Also, there's fewer steps before the party.

Has it been confirmed that jl/windows-file-share-delete will be in the
next erlang release? In the last 'What's cooking in erlang/otp'
(2010-03-22) it hadn't yet moved from 'cooking' to 'graduated'.

I played a little with 0.11.0 w/ COUCHDB-86 patch applied:
- All futon tests, except uuids, pass.
- Pull replication didn't work for a large db (2.4M docs, 4.5GB).
Couch crashed after 100 000 and 1.7M docs
- Etap tests didn't work. Should they?

Cheers,
-juhani