Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ZB <zb...@brightlinecompliance.com> on 2006/03/21 20:32:39 UTC

svn update encoding issue

Hi all

I'm having a strange issue using svn update. I keep a sandbox of a repository
on one of our server (CentOS 4.2; just a straight 'svn checkout' of the
repository). To keep this updated, I've written a script that runs via cron
(root's crontab, not the cron user). Whenever the script is run (via cron or
manually), I get the following output:

svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
svn: If You?\226?\128?\153re Harassed

This is the *only* output when update runs via the script - there's no
notification that the repository was update, no mention of what revision it's
at, etc. I know that the 'If You're Harassed' string is coming from somewhere
inside the repository. However, when I login to the box as root and run the
same command manually, I get no output (I only want the script to provide a
status message and any valid errors so that we'll know whether or not the
repository was successfully updated).

What could be causing the encoding error? And why would I be seeing it only
when cron runs the script, but not when I run the script manually?

The script I'm using is ridiculously simple:

#!/bin/bash

OPTIONS="-q"
REPO_DIR="/afs/brightlinecompliance.net/prod/svn/blc"

svn update $OPTIONS $REPO_DIR

And manually, I'm running:

svn update -q /afs/brightlinecompliance.net/prod/svn/blc

Thanks for your help,

Zack

Re: svn update encoding issue

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 21, 2006, at 21:32, ZB wrote:

> I'm having a strange issue using svn update. I keep a sandbox of a
> repository
> on one of our server (CentOS 4.2; just a straight 'svn checkout' of
> the
> repository). To keep this updated, I've written a script that runs
> via cron
> (root's crontab, not the cron user). Whenever the script is run
> (via cron or
> manually), I get the following output:
>
> svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
> svn: If You?\226?\128?\153re Harassed

[snip]

> What could be causing the encoding error? And why would I be seeing
> it only
> when cron runs the script, but not when I run the script manually?

Oh how I wish some bright programmer would once and for all determine
why this error keeps happening to so many people and how to fix it so
that it never happens again.

Presumably this has something to do with your $LANG environment
variable, and presumably it is different in the cron environment than
in your normal shell environment. Try setting it in your cron
environment to the same thing you have it set to in your shell
environment.