Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Oscar Picasso <os...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/22 20:03:54 UTC

Lucene in Action: Batch indexing by using RAMDirectory

Hi,

On page 52 of Lucene in Action (Indexing > Controlling the indexing process >
Batch indexing by using RAMDirectory as a buffer) I read:

"A more sophisticated approach would involve keeping track of RAMDirectory's
memory consumption, in order to prevent RAMDirectory from growing too large."

I've taken a look at Runtime.totalMemory() and so on but I didn't figure out
how to use these functions to prevent an OutMemoryException while using
RAMDirectory that way.

Any idea?

Re: Lucene in Action: Batch indexing by using RAMDirectory

Posted by markharw00d <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I posted a suggested solution to this some time ago:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lucene-user&m=108922279803667&w=2

The overhead of doing these tests was negligible but I haven't tried it
since TermVectors and the compound indexes were introduced.