Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Terry Chung <tc...@siac.com> on 2005/02/17 23:23:16 UTC

The number of tomcat directory for multiple tomcat instances

Hi,

I'm running APACHE 2.0.48 with Tomcat 4.1.29 on HP box/os.
I'm running multiple tomcats that are connected to Apache using round-robin
load balancing.  All tomcat instances and apache is running on the same HP
box.

The document I read states that I need a unique CATALINA_HOME for each
tomcat instance.  Is there a way  to have one CATALINA_HOME and have
multiple server.xml file in the conf directory?

If I need individual catalina_home for each tomcat instance, than what is
the minimum sub-directories needed for each catalina_home? i.e., do we need
all of /logs, /webapps, /work, and /temp?

Thanks in advance

This message and its attachments may contain  privileged and confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are prohibited
from printing, forwarding, saving or copying this email.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer.

Re: The number of tomcat directory for multiple tomcat instances

Posted by Wolfgang Hackl <wo...@inode.at>.
Terry Chung wrote:

>I'm running APACHE 2.0.48 with Tomcat 4.1.29 on HP box/os.
>I'm running multiple tomcats that are connected to Apache using round-robin
>load balancing.  All tomcat instances and apache is running on the same HP
>box.

This configuration seems a bit strange. If you have only one machine, I
see no need to balance load between instances. There is always the
maximum load on this machine.

>The document I read states that I need a unique CATALINA_HOME for each
>tomcat instance.  Is there a way  to have one CATALINA_HOME and have
>multiple server.xml file in the conf directory?
>
>If I need individual catalina_home for each tomcat instance, than what is
>the minimum sub-directories needed for each catalina_home? i.e., do we need
>all of /logs, /webapps, /work, and /temp?

There must only be one unique CATALINA_HOME but individual CATALINA_BASE
for each instance. Please read the section "Advanced Configuration" in
the file RUNNING.txt which comes with tomcat for instructions.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang