Posted to commits@couchdb.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2011/11/18 20:55:47 UTC

[Couchdb Wiki] Update of "SVNvsGIT" by MarkStruberg

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Couchdb Wiki" for change notification.

The "SVNvsGIT" page has been changed by MarkStruberg:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SVNvsGIT

New page:

== Main difference between SVN and GIT ==

For understanding the setup of our GIT repositories better, we have to understand the difference in the mechanics of GIT compared to what we had available before at the ASF.
||<tablewidth="903px" tableheight="203px" tablestyle=""> ||SVN ||GIT ||
||Content ||SVN handles the content on a per-file basis. Each file is basically versioned on it's own and has it's own history. Moving a file with svn mv will preserve this history. Just copying the file will not! ||GIT treats all the files in the repository as a big union. All the commits basically form a tree of diffs which get applied to the initially empty project directory. There is no 'native history' on a file basis because of that. For producing a git-log or git-blame, GIT needs to walk through all the commit tree and check whether the given file is involved. Otoh git can not only automatically track rename-files, but also perfectly tracks if you move a method from one class to another! ||
||Security ||Handled by SVN itself. It's perfectly possible to have different directories and files in a SVN repo which have different security rules applied. ||GIT has no own security. It solely relies on the underlying transport/filesystem. It's imo not possible to have ||
||Branches ||SVN creates an own directory per branch in ./branches/{branchname}/. The main content is always in ./trunk/ ||GIT treats branches more like the way CVS did. When checking out a branch, the directory remains the same, only the content will get 'switched'. Each branch is technically equal. It is NOT possible to only do 'partial' branches (on a partly tree of the project), instead a branch is ''__always__'' in the whole repository! ||
||Tags ||Similar to SVN branches. They are held in ./tags/{tagname} and basically a read-only svn copy of trunk. ||Tags in GIT are just a name to a specific commit-sha1. Basically just a shortcut for the sha1. Like with branches, a tag is always over the __whole__ ||
||Modularisation ||SVN fully supports sparse checkout and treats the checked out content without any difference whether it is a full project tree or just a sub-project ||GIT originally didn't know any sparse checkout. This capability only got added in git-1.7.0 and works quite different. You will still get the whole tree content in your .git/objects. Also all tags and branches performed on such a sparse checked out project will still cover the whole repo. There is support for git-submodules, but this is more similar to the flat project mapping of Eclipse than a real nested project structure. ||