Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com> on 2016/11/01 13:42:30 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS configuration for Kafka clients

KIP-85 vote has passed with 4 binding (Harsha, Gwen, Jason, Jun) and 4
non-binding (Mickael, Jim, Edo, me) votes.

Thank you all for your votes and comments. I will update the KIP page and
rebase the PR.

Many thanks,

Rajini

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Edoardo Comar <EC...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> +1 great KIP
> Edoardo Comar
> IBM MessageHub
> ecomar@uk.ibm.com
> IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN
>
> IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number
> 741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6
> 3AU
>

> From:   Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>
> To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
> Date:   26/10/2016 16:27
> Subject:        [VOTE] KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS configuration for Kafka
> clients
>

> I would like to initiate the voting process for KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS
> configuration for Kafka Clients:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-85%3A+Dynamic+JAAS+
> configuration+for+Kafka+clients
>

> This KIP enables Java clients to connect to Kafka using SASL without a
> physical jaas.conf file. This will also be useful to configure multiple
> KafkaClient login contexts when multiple users are supported within a JVM.
>
> Thank you...
>
> Regards,
>
> Rajini
>

> Unless stated otherwise above:
> 741598.

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS configuration for Kafka clients

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@confluent.io>.
Super useful, thanks Rajini. +1

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 8:11 AM Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I have added this to the KIP.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rajini
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > One more thing: we are using the PASSWORD config type to avoid exposing
> > passwords. This will also make it harder to debug issues with the JAAS
> > config though, it would be good to mention this drawback in the KIP.
> >
> > Ismael
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm very late to this, but better late than never, I guess. I am +1 on
> > > this because it improves on the status quo, satisfies a real need and
> is
> > > simple to implement.
> > >
> > > Having said that, I'd also like to state that it's a bit of a shame
> that
> > > we are doubling down on the JAAS config format. It is a peculiar format
> > and
> > > in the Kerberos case (one of the common usages), it requires users to
> > > provide different configs depending on the Java implementation being
> > used.
> > > It would be nice if we looked into abstracting some of this to make
> > users'
> > > lives easier. Looking at the Hadoop codebase, it looks like they try to
> > do
> > > that although I don't know how well it worked out in practice.
> > >
> > > Ismael

> > and

> number
> Hants.

> without a
> > multiple

> > number
> PO6

> --
> Regards,
>
> Rajini

Neha

Re: [VOTE] KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS configuration for Kafka clients

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
I have added this to the KIP.

Thanks,

Rajini

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:

> One more thing: we are using the PASSWORD config type to avoid exposing
> passwords. This will also make it harder to debug issues with the JAAS
> config though, it would be good to mention this drawback in the KIP.
>
> Ismael
>
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm very late to this, but better late than never, I guess. I am +1 on
> > this because it improves on the status quo, satisfies a real need and is
> > simple to implement.
> >
> > Having said that, I'd also like to state that it's a bit of a shame that
> > we are doubling down on the JAAS config format. It is a peculiar format
> and
> > in the Kerberos case (one of the common usages), it requires users to
> > provide different configs depending on the Java implementation being
> used.
> > It would be nice if we looked into abstracting some of this to make
> users'
> > lives easier. Looking at the Hadoop codebase, it looks like they try to
> do
> > that although I don't know how well it worked out in practice.
> >
> > Ismael
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Rajini Sivaram <
> > rajinisivaram@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> KIP-85 vote has passed with 4 binding (Harsha, Gwen, Jason, Jun) and 4
> >> non-binding (Mickael, Jim, Edo, me) votes.
> >>
> >> Thank you all for your votes and comments. I will update the KIP page
> and
> >> rebase the PR.
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >>
> >> Rajini

> >> PO6

> >> Dynamic+JAAS+

> multiple
> >> JVM.

> number
> >> 3AU
> >> >

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Rajini

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS configuration for Kafka clients

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks for explaining your reasoning, Rajini. I do agree with all of it and
that's why I voted +1. :)

The reason for my comment was to highlight some of the areas that can be
improved in case someone has the time and interest. The Kerberos situation
is the obvious one, but one could also imagine flattening the JAAS format
into the properties format. That would make it easier for people who want
to provide a single properties file and it would be more consistent with
other properties. I haven't worked out all the details, so there may be
reasons why it doesn't work, but it's an interesting avenue to explore I
think.

Ismael

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Rajini Sivaram <

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Ismael,

> [...]

> > > clients
> > >

> > > I would like to initiate the voting process for KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS
> > > configuration for Kafka Clients:
> > >
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-
> > 85%3A+Dynamic+JAAS+
> > > configuration+for+Kafka+clients
> > >

> > > This KIP enables Java clients to connect to Kafka using SASL without a
> > > physical jaas.conf file. This will also be useful to configure multiple
> > > KafkaClient login contexts when multiple users are supported within a
> > JVM.
> > >
> > > Thank you...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Rajini
> > >

> > > Unless stated otherwise above:
> > > IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with
> number
> > > 741598.
> > > Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO6

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] KIP-85: Dynamic JAAS configuration for Kafka clients

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.