Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Marc Schriftman <sc...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/31 06:54:38 UTC

UUID Generation

I know this has been addressed before, but my searches have been fruitless.
I need to pass my own UUIDs instead of the ones JCR creates internally. Is
there any way to do this?

Re: UUID Generation

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I've written and configured an S3-based FileSystem

Do you mean FileSystem, or PersistenceManager?

> I implemented asynchronous uploads to alleviate the pain to
>  the user

I'm not sure what you mean with asynchronous upload... Is the data
uploaded as a background process, and the method returns before data
is stored?

> local-guid-to-remote-guid mapping mechanism

I don't understand, can you explain why you need this mapping? Why
can't you just use the UUID generated by Jackrabbit? As far as I
understand S3, you can name your objects as you want, and don't need
to use the named that S3 gave you? But I may be wrong...

Regards,
Thomas

Re: UUID Generation

Posted by paksegu <pa...@yahoo.com>.

schrifty <sc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thomas Mueller-6 wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I need to pass my own UUIDs instead of the ones JCR creates internally.
>
> Could you explain why you need to do that?
>
>> Is there any way to do this?
>
> You could use Session.importXML or Workspace.importXML using
> ImportUUIDBehavior.IMPORT_UUID_COLLISION_REPLACE_EXISTING.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Thanks for the reply Thomas. The reason I need to do this is that I've
written and configured an S3-based FileSystem that suits our needs but isn't
terribly fast. I implemented asynchronous uploads to alleviate the pain to
the user, but had to write an awkward local-guid-to-remote-guid mapping
mechanism in order to return to the user a durable, canonical URI he (and
the system) can use to reference the file once it's been uploaded. The
mapping mechanism is trivial in concept but ends up being another potential
point of failure I'd rather forego. I realize I could stick the local URI in
a custom property and give the user a query string to use - as another
helpful forum member advised - but that felt less elegant and perhaps slower
when it seems like there's no real reason that GUIDs can't be controlled by
the client. Also - being aggresively RESTful here - we put a lot of weight
on the concept of the canonical URI.

Regards,

Marc Schriftman
BSG Alliance

Ransford Segu-Baffoe

paksegu@yahoo.com

https://serenade.dev.java.net/
http://www.noqturnalmediasystems.com/

---------------------------------
OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends: Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t

Re: UUID Generation

Posted by schrifty <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: UUID Generation

Posted by Thomas Mueller <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: UUID Generation

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Marc Schriftman wrote:

>I know this has been addressed before, but my searches have been fruitless.
>I need to pass my own UUIDs instead of the ones JCR creates internally. Is
>there any way to do this?

I would guess you cannot (whereas I don't know), but I guess you could
always add them as some specific property and make this property
searchable (whereas the performance might be not so good with large
amount of nodes)

Cheers

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup