Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Craig Ringer <cr...@postnewspapers.com.au> on 2010/06/25 18:39:52 UTC

New intermediate format and columns

Hi all

I've been trying to use the new intermediate format to do some
post-processing transforms I need to accomplish on my documents. In
particular, I'm trying to determine how much "empty" space there is in
each column of a multi-column region-body, and re-distribute blocks
within each column.

However, it seems like the new IF doesn't retain information about
columns within a region-body. Am I confused? Or would I have to guess
what column an element is in using its co-ordinates?

In the old area-tree format, <regionBody> elements contain <flow>
elements, one per column, so it's easy to identify what's in what column.

As it sounds like the new IF is intended to largely supercede the area
tree, I wondered if it's worth adding some way to tell what is in what
column. Assuming that there isn't already something I'm just missing, of
course.

--
Craig Ringer