Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2007/03/28 20:50:26 UTC

Meaning of man/man8/?

The man8/ directory doesn't seem appropriate for the current contents
we install.  Notably, ab and logresolve are certainly not dedicated to
the role of httpd, but are independently useful binaries.

Beyond that, apxs doesn't seem to quite fit that role.

ab.8            apxs.8          httpd.8         rotatelogs.8
apachectl.8     htcacheclean.8  logresolve.8    suexec.8

Of the remainder, apachectl, htcacheclean, suexec and (for the most
part) rotatelogs are only sensible in the context of httpd itself.
But not really understanding the meaning of .8 pages, I'm not really
clear if these are on-point or out of context.

Comments?

Bill

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> Ok, I think you are right and they have mixed usage. Compiling a module
> would be done by a user whereas installing it might be a task reserved to root.
> Would it make sense to move ap[ru]-1-config and apxs to build/?

AFA apxs is concerned; IMHO, no.  The user wants to find apxs without
any extra 'magic'.  It belongs on the path where they can find the
default apxs associated with the system httpd.  (Or they have a second
httpd installed in /usr/local/, and they have /usr/local/bin first
in their path.)

Ditto ap[ru]-1-config, and to state it again; we have no say - if you
want to move that around, please take that discussion to dev@apr.
I know it would be vetoed for the remaining lifespan of 0.9/1.x, but
anythings up for consideration with 2.0.  But you are thinking very
httpd-centric :)

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 03/29/2007 11:23 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
>>logresolve

Damn copy and paste. Of course this belongs to bin / man1. Thanks
for pointing this out.

>>apxs
>>apu-1-config
>

> apxs, apu-1-config aren't related to running binaries, in fact aren't
> even related to 'running the server'.  ap[ru]-1-config I would outright
> veto (not even httpd's place, and they are userspace libraries), while
> root manages everything in the first group, the second group are user
> space tools, or are multipurpose (logresolve).

Ok, I think you are right and they have mixed usage. Compiling a module
would be done by a user whereas installing it might be a task reserved to root.
Would it make sense to move ap[ru]-1-config and apxs to build/?

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 03/29/2007 12:57 PM, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>>
>> Together with the decision for .8 vs. .1, I suggest to adapt the
>> sbin/ vs. bin/ installation directories. Traditionally, these user
>> programs were installed in sbin/ too; but IMO binaries for general
>> interest should go to bin/ (and thus get their man page in man1/)
>> and server related things should go to sbin/ (and get their man
>> pages provided in man8/).

Ding ding ding!  Thank you - the difference is clear now.

> As far as I can tell currently all binaries go to bin/.
> But +1 to separate them correctly between bin/ and sbin/ and putting
> their man pages into the correct section.
>
> So I would propose to install
>
> httpd
> rotatelogs
> apachectl
> htcacheclean
> suexec
> checkgid
> fcgistarter
>
> into sbin/ and move ab.8 and logresolve.8 to section 1 of the man pages.

I agree with all of the above.

> logresolve
> apxs
> apu-1-config

apxs, apu-1-config aren't related to running binaries, in fact aren't
even related to 'running the server'.  ap[ru]-1-config I would outright
veto (not even httpd's place, and they are userspace libraries), while
root manages everything in the first group, the second group are user
space tools, or are multipurpose (logresolve).

So if we retain the second group in man1, bin/, extending it to include;

ab
dbmmanage
htdbm
htdigest
htpasswd
httxt2dbm

as is, today, then I'm +1 with the suggestion.

Bill

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by Martin Kraemer <ma...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 10:31:47PM +0200, André Malo wrote:
> * William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Beyond that, apxs doesn't seem to quite fit that role.
> >
> > ab.8            apxs.8          httpd.8         rotatelogs.8
> > apachectl.8     htcacheclean.8  logresolve.8    suexec.8
> >
> > Of the remainder, apachectl, htcacheclean, suexec and (for the most
> > part) rotatelogs are only sensible in the context of httpd itself.
> > But not really understanding the meaning of .8 pages, I'm not really
> > clear if these are on-point or out of context.
>
> Well, we might put ab and logresolve in .1. [...]

Together with the decision for .8 vs. .1, I suggest to adapt the
sbin/ vs. bin/ installation directories. Traditionally, these user
programs were installed in sbin/ too; but IMO binaries for general
interest should go to bin/ (and thus get their man page in man1/)
and server related things should go to sbin/ (and get their man
pages provided in man8/).

Just my $.02,

   Martin
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>        |     Fujitsu Siemens
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/imprint.html | 81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by Martin Kraemer <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
[taking docs on cc]

* William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> The man8/ directory doesn't seem appropriate for the current contents
> we install.  Notably, ab and logresolve are certainly not dedicated to
> the role of httpd, but are independently useful binaries.
>
> Beyond that, apxs doesn't seem to quite fit that role.
>
> ab.8            apxs.8          httpd.8         rotatelogs.8
> apachectl.8     htcacheclean.8  logresolve.8    suexec.8
>
> Of the remainder, apachectl, htcacheclean, suexec and (for the most
> part) rotatelogs are only sensible in the context of httpd itself.
> But not really understanding the meaning of .8 pages, I'm not really
> clear if these are on-point or out of context.

Well, we might put ab and logresolve in .1. But where would the other ones
fit better?

nd
--
"Umfassendes Werk (auch fuer Umsteiger vom Apache 1.3)"
                                          -- aus einer Rezension

<http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>

Re: Meaning of man/man8/?

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.