Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/21 10:53:40 UTC

Harmony tools and utilities

Hi all,

Are we interesting in providing a competitive set of tools and utilities for
Harmony implementation?
(for tools list see: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/index.html
)
Are we going to provide the same set, subset or superset? Or it is too early
to discuss tools list?

As we agreed we need javadoc. And this is priority number one.
What about others? What about javah, appletviewer or keytool?

I'd suggest creating a prioritized list of tools and utilities that we need
and place it on Harmony project's site, for example, in 'subcomponents' or
'road map/TODO' section. A tool's priority will define its demand for
Harmony

For example,

Tool name       Status       Priority
javadoc          missing         high
javah             missing       medium
keytool          missing       medium
policytool       missing         low
klist               missing        N/A

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: Harmony tools and utilities

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.
Stepan Mishura wrote:
>> FYI, jchevm contains a javah program (called "jcjavah" for now).
>
> Are you planning to move it to harmony/enhanced/tools?

A version needs to stay with jchevm (required for the build) but
there's no reason it couldn't be copied there also. It does also
use a few other files from the vm library, so they would have to
go too.

-Archie

Re: Harmony tools and utilities

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Archie,

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
I'd encourage people to write these tools predominantly in Java, and
co-ordinate the code so they can share common utilities (like CLI,
custom launchers / launch scripts, etc.).

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: Harmony tools and utilities

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are we interesting in providing a competitive set of tools and utilities for
> Harmony implementation?

Of course.

> (for tools list see: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/index.html
> )
> Are we going to provide the same set, subset or superset? Or it is too early
> to discuss tools list?

Same or super.  I can't see why we'd subset if people use them.

> As we agreed we need javadoc. And this is priority number one.
> What about others? What about javah, appletviewer or keytool?

Y, Y, Y.

> I'd suggest creating a prioritized list of tools and utilities that we need
> and place it on Harmony project's site, for example, in 'subcomponents' or
> 'road map/TODO' section. A tool's priority will define its demand for
> Harmony
>
> For example,
>
> Tool name       Status       Priority
> javadoc          missing         high
> javah             missing       medium
> keytool          missing       medium
> policytool       missing         low
> klist               missing        N/A

Go for it!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Are we interesting in providing a competitive set of tools and utilities for
> Harmony implementation?
> (for tools list see: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/index.html
> )
> Are we going to provide the same set, subset or superset? Or it is too early
> to discuss tools list?
>
> As we agreed we need javadoc. And this is priority number one.
> What about others? What about javah, appletviewer or keytool?
>
> I'd suggest creating a prioritized list of tools and utilities that we need
> and place it on Harmony project's site, for example, in 'subcomponents' or
> 'road map/TODO' section. A tool's priority will define its demand for
> Harmony
>
> For example,
>
> Tool name       Status       Priority
> javadoc          missing         high
> javah             missing       medium
> keytool          missing       medium
> policytool       missing         low
> klist               missing        N/A

I suspect the java certification process will drive our toolbox creation
at the end, but for now, I would suggest to scratch your itch only.

--
Stefano.