Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2006/09/19 00:27:41 UTC

JMS like API for C++

You guys might already have this, but since your code has not hit the
apache svn repo yet, I have not looked at what you guys have.  But
activemq has a JMS like API for C++ and I was thinking that perhaps
qpid would eventually do the same too.  And if that's the case, then I
think it should use the same interfaces if possible.  Our interfaces
for this API are here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/activemq/activemq-cpp/trunk/activemq-cpp/src/main/cms/

Please let me know if you guys would be interested in working in this
area together.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: JMS like API for C++

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
yep.  would be nice to have just 1 c++ API for this.

On 9/19/06, James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW IBM also has something similar, XMS....
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0509_phillips/0509_phillips.html
>
> I wonder if they'd donate it to Apache and we could all merge efforts...
>

> On 9/19/06, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hiram Chirino wrote:
> > > You guys might already have this, but since your code has not hit the
> > > apache svn repo yet, I have not looked at what you guys have.  But
> > > activemq has a JMS like API for C++ and I was thinking that perhaps
> > > qpid would eventually do the same too.  And if that's the case, then I
> > > think it should use the same interfaces if possible.
> >
> > I certainly like the idea of a higher level interface for messaging. I
> > would have to do some more thinking (and some research) on what that
> > should look like though.
> >
> > > Please let me know if you guys would be interested in working in this
> > > area together.
> >
> > Definitely.
> >

> --
>
> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: JMS like API for C++

Posted by ro...@jpmorgan.com.
Yes we have looked at this but as you say we would need to get their
approval to use it.

I wonder if they had to pay any licence fee to Sun to be able to create
.NET and C++ "JMS-style" APIs. There would also be the question of whether
any agreement they made was transferrable (i.e. they could then transfer
that right to others).

RG

|         |           "James Strachan" |
|         |           <james.strachan@g|
|         |           mail.com>        |
|         |           19/09/2006 10:06 |
|         |           qpid-dev         |
  |       To:       qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: JMS like API for C++                                                                                     |

--

James
-------

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: JMS like API for C++

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--

James
-------

Re: JMS like API for C++

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> You guys might already have this, but since your code has not hit the
> apache svn repo yet, I have not looked at what you guys have.  But
> activemq has a JMS like API for C++ and I was thinking that perhaps
> qpid would eventually do the same too.  And if that's the case, then I
> think it should use the same interfaces if possible.

I certainly like the idea of a higher level interface for messaging. I
would have to do some more thinking (and some research) on what that
should look like though.

> Please let me know if you guys would be interested in working in this
> area together.

Definitely.

Re: JMS like API for C++

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Hopefully the code will be on Apache by tomorrow. For the moment we're
focussing on getting the C++ implementation up to feature parity with
Java but once that's done I'm certainly interested in considering at
alternate API possibilities.

Once the code is up maybe you can take a look at the qpid::client
classes to see how the activemq API might fit on top.