Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Bryden <c....@virgin.net> on 2001/08/01 04:06:57 UTC

SimpleMapper1.java

Hi,

I didn't get a response from the last mail I sent on this subject, but I
hope I could borrow a few minutes of your time to at least point me in the
direction of the relevant documentation on virtual hosts in tomcat...

I am using

Apache 1.3.20 and Tomcat 3.3 on Linux 2.4.5

We use a large number of virtual hosts in apache of the form
xyz.subdomain.ourdomain.com. They all point to the same context, with the
xyz art of the name being used by the webapp to determine how it was
accessed and set content accordingly...

In the apache configuration, the virtual host is defined using the
ServerAlias  directive and a wildcard, however, tomcat seems to need the
Host tags in server.xml to exactly match the host header..

I was under a lot of pressure to get this working at the time, so hacked
SimpleMapper1.java so that I could put a wildcard in my Host tag in
server.xml according to the attached patch...

The question I have is, what is the future for defining wildcard hosts in
the Host tags in server.xml..?  I would be more than happy to help with any
development in this area, but I need to know what the plans are for virtual
host definitions in server.xml

If the reason that I didn't get a reply to my earlier mail is that I am
being a complete muppet, please could you direct me to the relevent docs so
I can demuppetize :-)

Kind Regards,

Chris