Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/28 22:34:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Storm Release 0.9.3/0.10.0

I’d like to gather community feedback for the next two releases of Apache Storm.

0.9.3-incubating will be our next release. Please indicate (by JIRA ticket ID) which bug fixes and/or new features you would like to be considered for inclusion in the next release. If there is not an existing for a particular issue or feature, please consider adding one.

For the next and subsequent releases, we will be using a slightly different approach than what we did in the past. Instead of voting right away on a build, we will make one or more “unofficial” release candidate builds available prior to voting on an official release. This will give the Apache Storm community more time to discuss, evaluate, identify and fix potential issues before the official release. This should enable us to ensure the final release is as bug free as possible.

Apache Storm 0.10.0 (STORM-216)
As some of you are aware, the engineering team at Yahoo! has done a lot of work to bring security and multi-tenancy to Storm, and has contributed that work back to the community. Over the past few months we have been in the process of enhancing and syncing that work  with the master branch in a separate branch labeled “security.” That work is now nearing completion, and I would like us to consider merging it into master after the 0.9.3 release. Since the security work includes a large number of changes and enhancements, I propose we bump the version number to 0.10.0 for the first release to include those features.

More information about the security branch can be found in this pull request [1], as well as the SECURITY.md file in the security branch [2]. I also discussed it in a blog post [3] on the Hortonworks website. Please feel free to direct any comments or questions about the security branch to the mailing list.

Similar to the process we’ll follow for 0.9.3, we plan to make several unofficial “development” builds available for those who would like to help with testing the new security features.

-Taylor

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-storm/pull/121
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-storm/blob/security/SECURITY.md
[3] http://hortonworks.com/blog/the-future-of-apache-storm/

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Storm Release 0.9.3/0.10.0

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’d like to gather community feedback for the next two releases of Apache
> Storm.
>
> 0.9.3-incubating will be our next release. Please indicate (by JIRA ticket
> ID) which bug fixes and/or new features you would like to be considered for
> inclusion in the next release. If there is not an existing for a particular
> issue or feature, please consider adding one.

I send this mail to user list couple of weeks ago[1]. Can someone please
verify whether this is an issue or a mis configuration. If it is an issue
I'll log a jira.

thanks,
Amila.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-storm-user/201408.mbox/browser

--
Amila Suriarachchi

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Storm Release 0.9.3/0.10.0

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Spico Florin <sp...@gmail.com>.
Hello!
 Any improvements regarding the performance that could handle the load
related on
https://www.loggly.com/blog/what-we-learned-about-scaling-with-apache-storm/
and also on
https://developer.ibm.com/streamsdev/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2014/04/Streams-and-Storm-April-2014-Final.pdf
?

I look forward for any progress on this performance subject.

Best regards,
 Florin

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I am supportive.

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I am supportive.

Posted by Simon Cooper <si...@featurespace.co.uk>.
May I request that the patch for STORM-341 is merged into trunk for the 0.9.3 release?

SimonC