Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com> on 2007/07/04 21:49:45 UTC

[T5] DataSqueezer

Hello,

Is there a service equivalent to T4's DataSqueezer?

Thanks:
Norbi

Re: [T5] DataSqueezer

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Not currently.

Part of the reasoning in T5 is that, with easy injection, it's much
less necessary for the framework to do certain things.

In T2 (where DataSqueezer started) this was not the case, and the only
way to get a lot of common, desirable behavior was for the framework
to do it automatically. In the case of DataSqueezer, this caused as
many problems as it solved:

- Long URLs
- Wierd URLs (is that an 'l' or '1' ?)
- Horrifically long URLs (oops, just serialized my database)
- Incomprehensible exceptions (huh? something about an adapter?)

With T5, injection is really easy, so if you find yourself in the
position of having to encode a really large object into a URL, then
you can design and inject a service to do that work.  The framework
can just get out of the way, which is ultimately a better solution for
everyone.

Most of the time, we just rely on the TypeCoercer to convert objects
to strings and then back again.

By design, more of T5 is slanted towards you encoding the ids of large
objects, rather than the large objects themselves. This, too, leads to
shorter, more mneumonic, more bookmarkable URLs, which is a reasonable
target goal.

On 7/4/07, Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a service equivalent to T4's DataSqueezer?
>
> Thanks:
> Norbi

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.