Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Hyman <mh...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/25 23:35:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Linux question

I am just starting to use Linux to run our web sites and I am currently using Red Hat 8.

I am wondering if that is the best distro for the purpose. Is there a smaller, less desktop-based and more server-only based distro that is streamlined for web services. I will do using the following only on the server:

1. Perl
2. Mod_perl
3. Apache 1.3.x
4. Oracle Client for Oracle 9
5. Java JRE 1.4 for a small middleware program

Thanks in advance for the help..I appreciate it.

Regards...Michael

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Linux question

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
On Friday 25 July 2003 16:35, Michael Hyman wrote this in an attempt to
be witty and informative:
> I am just starting to use Linux to run our web sites and I am
> currently using Red Hat 8.
>
> I am wondering if that is the best distro for the purpose. Is there a
> smaller, less desktop-based and more server-only based distro that is
> streamlined for web services. I will do using the following only on
> the server:
>
> 1. Perl
> 2. Mod_perl
> 3. Apache 1.3.x
> 4. Oracle Client for Oracle 9
> 5. Java JRE 1.4 for a small middleware program
>
> Thanks in advance for the help..I appreciate it.
>
> Regards...Michael

You should look at Debian or Gentoo.

the -4 Shield of No Spell Checker
http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org http://mc-luug.homelinux.org/

Re: Apache Linux question

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
RH Linux is not "desktop-based" or "server-based".  It has what it has,
based on the options you choose on installation.

If you choose "Workstation" installation, then it will have the things
most people want on their desktop.

If you choose "Server" installation, then it will have the things most
people want on their servers.

Personally, I choose "Custom" and deselect everything, including Apache,
FTP, etc.  Then, I download the packages I need (like Apache) and build
them from source.

In my experience (almost 10 years), RH Linux is just fine for servers.
Not that any other distro is "bad", just that I don't feel any other
distro is markedly "better".  I've worked with SuSe, Mandrake,
TurboLinux, RH, and Debian.

John

Posted by Ezra <ez...@acedsl.com>.
Hello Michael:

You can try Frebsd, Debian or slackware.  They are all free(just
download).  If your going to use any of these distro's you are going to
need to learn alot more then just the basics of Linux.

Thank You
Ezra Taylor

Posted by Kyle Hamilton <wi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Patrick Donker <pa...@reporters.net>.
>1. Top posting = bad etiquette
>2. HTML formated emails are bad netiquette.
>
>Nothing I said in response to your email refuted anything you said, so
>get off your high horse.

k, sorry...didnt read right...must me the html :)

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Linux question

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
On Friday 25 July 2003 17:03, Patrick Donker wrote this in an attempt to
be witty and informative:
> No attempt was made to be 'witty' (like you), just to let him know
> that all that junk being advised to install isnt needed to fullfill
> his need. Some people dont know that, they just click being m$
> slaves. He obviousely knows what he needs, so I hinted him to just
> only those things. Could ofcourse be that he is a first time linux
> user.... <case closed>
<snip>

Posted by Patrick Donker <pa...@reporters.net>.

Posted by Michael Hyman <mh...@yahoo.com>.
Yeh, I know that. I am just doing a sanity check to see if there is a more server-oriented distro that might be streamlined for web serving.

Thanks
  If you dont want the desktop stuff, then dont install it; just click the server installation and click on the software you need. Just dont click on gnome or kde related stuff and it wont be installed...

  --------------------------------------------------------------------- The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project. See for more info. To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org " from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org

RE: Apache Linux question

Posted by Stuart MacPherson <ap...@dsl.pipex.com>.
I don't know a huge amount about Linux (so why am I replying?! ;o)) but I
have been messing with Slackware, which I have found is so configurable (NOT
the best distro to start out on, with hindsight!) that you can reduce the
footprint right down... well here are the min req's:

386 processor
16MB RAM
50 megabytes of hard disk space
3.5" floppy drive

I don't know if this makes it best for your area, but its just for your
information really

Regards
stu