Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by arungabriel <ar...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/27 14:12:50 UTC

Re: Hbase ORM any one interested?

Beautiful that you have thought of doing an ORM for HBase.

We are planning to store  Serializable objects (which holds state) in HBase
as byte array. We would like to use the information for scheduling purposes.
Is this really possible practically?  Or can i get the String values in the
object and persist using the ORM?

It would be great if you could share the ORM with us. Let me share with you
what i came up with :-)

Re: Hbase ORM any one interested?

Posted by Ian Smith <ia...@acm.org>.
I guess this is a popular idea. :-)

I've built what I call an "object -> cloud" mapping that works with
Hbase. It stores everything as json so if you manage to build a
binding for it (through Hbase's thrift interface) it should work with
any language.  I say "object -> cloud" because the idea of the
software is to expose to other people some of the features and
limitations of a column oriented database, not just have them use the
same old relational models and end up getting nasty surprises later.

It was designed for read-heavy, interactive applications and
prototyping. For the latter, it has a simple "disk file" version so
people can get the app working before sending it to an hbase cluster.
It allows you to have multiple searchable "columns" by building it's
own indexes off to the side.  It tries, for example, to expose the
idea that this is not cheap by making people select the searchable
items in their data.

If folks are interested, please drop me a note. I  need to make a case
that this software should be open sourced and several emails from
people about how they might use it would help.

thanks
ian

ps. If anybody has an hbase cluster that has some idle time I'd love
to get some performance numbers... my current unemployment makes
renting EC2 nodes a bit out of bounds...

Posted by arungabriel <ar...@gmail.com>.
I am very new to HBase and very much blinded by my own assumptions of things.
Thanks a lot for this information. Helps me fill up a very big gap in my
understanding.

IMHO, the BigTable paper and its extension in the HBase wiki is definitely
not for beginners.

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>.
Serializing objects (of any language) and storing them as byte[] in HBase is
fully-supported and being used by quite a few people.

If that's all you plan on doing, you may not need a full ORM solution.