Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Madhav Bhargava <Ma...@infosys.com> on 2008/12/03 11:50:40 UTC

Attach the current JSF View as an attachment

Hi All,

I have a rather unique requirement - On a JSF page I have a command button. On click of this button I want to capture the generated HTML for the current view I am on, truncate the left navigation, header and the footer. Extract the body HTML and open a save dialog box to save this HTML page with only body as attachment.

Any ideas of how it could be done using JSF?

Thanks,
Madhav

Infosys e-mail system.

RE: Attach the current JSF View as an attachment

Posted by Madhav Bhargava <Ma...@infosys.com>.
Matt wrote :
>Hi Madhav,

>This is an interesting requirement. Off the top of my head I'd say you could probably make a custom component to wrap the section you want to capture. Then in that components renderer, in the >encodeBegin method you switch the responseWriter to a StringWriter or some other writer. Then in encodeEnd you save the contents of the StringWriter somewhere you can use it later and set back the >correct responseWriter, and if you still want to write the response you can do so. Also you need to override rendersChildren and have it return true. The code would look something like this.
>
>private ResponseWriter oldWriter;
>private StringWriter sWriter;
>// encodeBegin
>
>sWriter = new StringWriter();
>HtmlResponseWriterImpl writer = new HtmlResponseWriterImpl(sWriter, "text/html","utf-8");
>
>oldWriter = context.getResponseWriter();
>context.setResponseWriter(writer);
>

>//encodeEnd
>StringBuffer sb = sWriter.getBuffer();
>// do what you want with the sb
>context.setResponseWriter(oldWriter);
>// if you want to output it as well...
>oldWriter.write(sb.toString());
>
>I think this may work for what you want to do.
>
>Matt

Initially i tried doing that using a call to a method on click of a link but then i realized that it will still output the entire HTML including the left navigation, header and footer. I created a custom component to capture the part of the Page. I provided 2 attributes - targetPath - where to save the Html output and isCaptured - to conditionally capture

It works well. Thanks for all your help.

Regards,
Madhav

Posted by Ma...@sanofi-aventis.com.