Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Cédric Tabin <ta...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/06 21:18:38 UTC

jotlmsg: read & write Outlook msg files

Hello,

I recently had to create MS Outook msg files in Java. I've seen that Apache
POI could manipulate MS Compound Binary Files (POIFS) and parse msg files
(MAPIMessage), however the latter is readonly.
Instead of using some proprietary API, I just wrote a simple open source
library called jotlmsg <https://github.com/ctabin/jotlmsg> on top of POI
that can read/write [simple] msg files and also generate javax.mail
MimeMessage.
The API is currently somewhat simple, but works well. So, I'm looking
forward to have some feedbacks about it and if it would be useful to
improve the MAPIMessage API to make it writeable :-)

Thanks & best regards,
Cédric

Re: jotlmsg: read & write Outlook msg files

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hello C�dric,

> Anyway, a link in your promoted section would already be great !
done.

great! have a look at http://poi.apache.org/guidelines.html

> I don't know how to
> proceed in order to make an equivalent of a pull request on GitHub ?
well ... make a pull request then ... see " Approach 3 - the git way" in the guidelines.

> No, I don't have in mind to integrate jotlmsg "as is" in POI, because it is
> really only a wrapper around MAPIMessage.
you are right ... when you have something running, it usually takes a bit more time
to make it look like POI :S
Feel free to make pull requests and hopefully someone of us will (/ has time to) integrate it ...
as I've already played around with MAPI, I guess it might be me ;)

Best wishes,
Andi

Re: jotlmsg: read & write Outlook msg files

Posted by Cédric Tabin <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andreas,

Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't have in mind to integrate jotlmsg "as is" in POI, because it is
really only a wrapper around MAPIMessage.
I was more looking to improve directly MAPIMessage and related API (such as
org.apache.poi.hsmf.datatypes.PropertiesChunk) with what I've done in
jotlmsg (actually, the only real part missing is the writing of chunk
properties, which needs a little bit refactoring). I don't know how to
proceed in order to make an equivalent of a pull request on GitHub ?

Anyway, a link in your promoted section would already be great !

Have a nice week-end,
Cédric

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hello C�dric,