Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/10/30 16:05:14 UTC

Forrest as a desktop tool? (was: Re: Forrest with embedded Jetty: it works!)

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 15:40, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>. . .
> I prefer the scripts... any tip on how to make it nicer without needing
> scripts? Maybe a java commandline that pops up with
>
>    java -jar forrest.jar

I think desktop-oriented users might like the following scenario:

-download forrest.jar, contains everything
-double-click forrest.jar (assuming proper JVM setup) or use java -jar
-java GUI comes up, asks user to select working directory
-GUI says "please connect to http://localhost:1234..."

Could also be done using Java Web Start, in which case Forrest could be
started directly from xml.apache.org/forrest.

If you can integrate slash-edit + chaperon to allow structured text
editing...well, you can put me on your "people that owe me a beer" list ;-)

Forrest then becomes a really cool and easy to use content editing
system...

This is similar to what Jeff said today in his RT, but maybe more targeted
towards "desktop-minded" users.

-Bertrand

Re: Forrest as a desktop tool? (was: Re: Forrest with embedded Jetty: it works!)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
 > On Wednesday 30 October 2002 15:40, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
 >
 >>. . .
 >>I prefer the scripts... any tip on how to make it nicer without needing
 >>scripts? Maybe a java commandline that pops up with
 >>
 >>   java -jar forrest.jar
 >

 > I think desktop-oriented users might like the following scenario:
 >
 > -download forrest.jar, contains everything
 > -double-click forrest.jar (assuming proper JVM setup) or use java -jar
 > -java GUI comes up, asks user to select working directory
 > -GUI says "please connect to http://localhost:1234..."
 >
 > Could also be done using Java Web Start, in which case Forrest could be
 > started directly from xml.apache.org/forrest.
 >
 > If you can integrate slash-edit + chaperon to allow structured text
 > editing...well, you can put me on your "people that owe me a beer"
list ;-)

 > Forrest then becomes a really cool and easy to use content editing
 > system...
 >
 > This is similar to what Jeff said today in his RT, but maybe more
targeted
 > towards "desktop-minded" users.

Yes, I think you have a point to drive installation to be this easy, and
this is the way to go.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -