Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by A Harrison <an...@seekersolutions.com> on 2013/04/19 20:17:37 UTC

Secure attribute of session ID cookie?

In my shiro.ini I have set

securityManager.sessionManager.sessionIdCookie.secure = true

but when I inspect the cookie in Chrome, there is no checkmark under the
Secure column (it's present for HttpOnly, as expected given Shiro's default
for SimpleCookie). I am serving the web app over SSL with a self-signed
cert during development. Is the self-signing a problem? Is there a way to
programmatically check that the Secure attribute is being honored? Or am I
concerned over nothing?

Thanks,
Andrew

PS -- apologies if this message is duplicated; Nabble issues.

Re: Secure attribute of session ID cookie?

Posted by A Harrison <an...@seekersolutions.com>.
Sorry, my mistake -- I had accidentally appended a comment to the end of the
line instead of placing it before the line, and mid-line comments aren't
usable in this context.

Re: Secure attribute of session ID cookie?

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Setting the cookie.secure attribute basically appends the 'Secure' flag
when the Set-Cookie: header is added (you can see an example of what this
might look like at runtime here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie#Domain_and_Path).  That's all
Shiro can do and any resulting behavior would be browser specific.

You can see that logic in the SimpleCookie implementation here:

https://github.com/apache/shiro/blob/trunk/web/src/main/java/org/apache/shiro/web/servlet/SimpleCookie.java#L222

Check the response headers - I don't see any reason why Shiro wouldn't
correctly set the flag in your case.  If it's not, please let us know.

HTH!

Cheers,

--
Les Hazlewood | @lhazlewood