Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Murugappan, Vairavan" <vm...@miners.utep.edu> on 2013/10/22 20:28:23 UTC

Network Setup Problem 4.1.1

Hi,
I am trying to setup a basic cloudstack 4.1.1 installation (test setup) with
1 Management (mgmt) server (centos 6.4), 1 host machine(cents 6.4) and 1 dell6248 switch

Mgmt has 2 NIC's
            * One connected to the internet
            * Another with local ip 20.1.1.1 (which acts a gateway) net mask 255.0.0.0
                        * I have added NAT rules to forward internet to rest of the network
                        * And this runs a dns server
                        * Also this hosts the Mysql and NFS (/export/primary, /export/secondary)
                        * But No dhcp server
            * I followed the instructions in the document and the management server is running and I can access it through browser

DELL6248 Switch
            * I assigned ip as 20.2.1.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 gateway 20.1.1.1
            * No Vlan configured, left it at default config

Host Machine has 1 NIC
            * It is connected to the Switch
            * I followed the steps in the document (installation for KVM) for creating bridges
            * I Assigned ip 20.1.1.2 to the vlan em1.100 [ Netmask 255.0.0.0 Gateway 20.1.1.1 ] (em is my eth) and no ip on em1, Amd configured 2 bridges as said.
-> But, With this setup the host machine cannot even ping the switch and mgmt server.
-> I tried assigning the 192.*.*.* ip to em1.100 with the ip at virbr0(192.*.*.1) as gateway but same result cannot ping the switch or mgmt..
* So removed all vlan's and bridges and just set 20.1.1.2 to em1 [ Netmask 255.0.0.0 Gateway 20.1.1.1]. Now it works as expected and I can access the internet as well.

Setup:

*         I proceeded with the basic installation

*         Pod - Gateway:20.1.1.1, Netmask:255.0.0.0, iprange - 20.1.1.5 -> 20.1.1.20

*         Guest - Gateway:20.1.1.1, Netmask:255.0.0.0, iprange - 20.1.1.30 -> 20.1.1.200

*         The Zone gets added successfully. No error on that.

It creates cloubr0 bridge  on host by itself and moves the ip from em1 to cloudbr0 and also starts the SSVM and Console VM on the host machine. But I get this "There is no secondary storage VM for secondary storage host nfs://20.1.1.1/export/secondary"
On the management server log.

SSVM Guest Machine

*         I can log into the SSVM from host using iplink local and I ran the SSVM test script, it seems it cannot connect to the gateway (20.1.1.1).

*         Following are the ip assigned to SSVM

o    Public - 20.1.1.30 (eth2) , Private - 20.1.111 (eth1) , Link Local - 169.254.2.151 (eth0) ,

o    And on eth3 20.1.1.20 (Not sure what this is for)

Problems:

*         SSVM cannot access switch or gateway server (mgmt,nfs,mysql) or internet

*         And I cannot add any iso's or the cannot see the system default iso on the add instance screen.

So there's something wrong in my network configuration over here but I couldn't figure out what it is. So any help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Vairavan M.

RE: Network Setup Problem 4.1.1

Posted by "Murugappan, Vairavan" <vm...@miners.utep.edu>.
Hi Marty,
No I don't own a range of public ip's and I am jus looking for a simple setup at this moment.

I changed the ip's as you suggested.
Management:
Em1: publicip
Em2: 10.10.0.1, netmas:255.255.255.0

Agent:(host)
And I assume by agent you mean the physical host (Compute Node) :
Em1: 10.10.0.2, netmask: 255.255.255.0, gateway=10.10.0.1, dns=10.10.0.1

And I also changed the switch ip to 10.10.0.254

* I can ping my host from mgmt and vice versa. Host OS has internet.
* I cannot ping any ip's of SSVM or Console VM from Mgmt server.
* I  can ping the link local ip (169.*.*.*) of SSVM from the host, but not the other 10.10.*.* ip's
* I still get the same "No Secondary Storage VM Error"

This was the case in the previous configuration as well. And please note that I have not created any vlan's or bridges on host or switch or management server.
So is there anything I should do  on switch (Dell 6248) and should I create any vlan's on host (which I already mentioned in my previous post)?

Thank you.

Regards,
Vairavan M.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.