Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by karl wettin <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/21 13:05:23 UTC

MultiSearcher vs IndexSearcher(new MultiReader

Could someone enlighten me a bit about the subject? When do I want to
use a MultiSearcher rather than a searcher running of a MultiReader?
There seems to be a bunch of limitations in the MultiSearcher, and it
is these that made me curious.

--
karl

Re: MultiSearcher vs IndexSearcher(new MultiReader

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Could someone enlighten me a bit about the subject? When do I want to
: use a MultiSearcher rather than a searcher running of a MultiReader?
: There seems to be a bunch of limitations in the MultiSearcher, and it
: is these that made me curious.

as i understand it the limitations of the MultiSearcher come from the fact
that it only requires a Searchable[] and the Searchable itnerface is
sufficiently simplified that it can support a lot more possibilities for
what it is ultimately searching (ie: a RemoteSearchable)

with a MultiReader,you must have an IndexReader[] which is a much weighter
contract to fulfill.

-Hoss

Re: MultiSearcher vs IndexSearcher(new MultiReader

Posted by Nott <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
MultiSearcher we have used whenwe use more than one folder. As  of we used
so far we did not had much issues with multisearcher. The index at times
becomes slow when you incluse more no of folder to search
We have the full index in one folder and the incremental index in another
folder so that fallback plan is easy when we face any issue with the index
file as such.

On 2/21/07, karl wettin <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could someone enlighten me a bit about the subject? When do I want to
> use a MultiSearcher rather than a searcher running of a MultiReader?
> There seems to be a bunch of limitations in the MultiSearcher, and it
> is these that made me curious.
>
> --
> karl

~B