Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> on 2012/09/21 03:52:47 UTC

serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

We currently have serf 0.3.1 in this file.  However, this version
fails to build on Windows due to this problem:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-dev/201007.mbox/%3CAANLkTimjWQIfCMsS3B6s2gWVRKyGLct2-BD6b-JIZN2a@mail.gmail.com%3E

Is there a particular reason we're still shipping such an ancient
version of serf?

Re: serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 09/27/2012 01:24 PM, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If it compiles, links, and loads, then you should be just fine. I don't
>> believe there are semantic changes within any given entrypoint.
>
> Are there any objections to shipping serf-1.1.0 with our deps package
> going forward?  Based on what Greg said I don't think there's any
> technical reason not to.  If not I'll be doing so with 1.7.7.
>
> If we do another 1.6 release we probably should use 0.7, since 1.6's
> serf.m4 doesn't know about major 1 of serf.

IIRC, we don't do 'deps' for 1.7 and beyond.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought we did not have a deps package with the 1.7.x releases?

Nevermind then. :D

Re: serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If it compiles, links, and loads, then you should be just fine. I don't
>> believe there are semantic changes within any given entrypoint.
>
> Are there any objections to shipping serf-1.1.0 with our deps package
> going forward?  Based on what Greg said I don't think there's any
> technical reason not to.  If not I'll be doing so with 1.7.7.

I thought we did not have a deps package with the 1.7.x releases?

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 21, 2012 5:12 AM, "Branko Čibej" <br...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 21.09.2012 10:29, Ben Reser wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> >> The serf API wasn't stable in 0.x releases.
> >> ra_serf in svn 1.5/1.6 doesn't support newer serf APIs AFAIK.
> > According to Paul Burba he tested with serf 1.1.0 and Johan Corveleyn
> > tested with 0.7.1.  I successfully used 0.7.2 on OS X and Linux (ran
> > into problems on Windows but I don't think it's because of serf
> > itself).
>
> I tested with 1.1.0 on Mac OS, too. That's not implying that our
> testsuite is comprehensive enough to catch possible incompatibilities in
> edge cases.

If it compiles, links, and loads, then you should be just fine. I don't
believe there are semantic changes within any given entrypoint.

Cheers,
-g

Re: serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 21.09.2012 10:29, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
>> The serf API wasn't stable in 0.x releases.
>> ra_serf in svn 1.5/1.6 doesn't support newer serf APIs AFAIK.
> According to Paul Burba he tested with serf 1.1.0 and Johan Corveleyn
> tested with 0.7.1.  I successfully used 0.7.2 on OS X and Linux (ran
> into problems on Windows but I don't think it's because of serf
> itself).

I tested with 1.1.0 on Mac OS, too. That's not implying that our
testsuite is comprehensive enough to catch possible incompatibilities in
edge cases.

-- Brane

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download

Re: serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Ben Reser <be...@reser.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
>> The serf API wasn't stable in 0.x releases.
>> ra_serf in svn 1.5/1.6 doesn't support newer serf APIs AFAIK.
>
> According to Paul Burba he tested with serf 1.1.0 and Johan Corveleyn
> tested with 0.7.1.  I successfully used 0.7.2 on OS X and Linux (ran
> into problems on Windows but I don't think it's because of serf
> itself).

Yes, I use serf 0.7.1 for building 1.6.x (I stopped using the -deps
file some time ago, when I had problems with building ... and switched
to using a set of local dependencies).

I build 1.7 (and trunk) with serf 1.1.0, but for some reason this
didn't work for me with 1.6 (linker problems IIRC). I didn't have that
much time to investigate further, and when I tried with serf 0.7.1 it
seemed to work fine, so I went with that.

--
Johan

Re: serf in subversion-deps-1.6.*.zip

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.