Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jan Line <be...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/25 11:54:52 UTC

Problem with next error during login: Number of simultaneous users reached

Hello all,

  I am new with tomcat problems and we are using it for supporting several web applications, one of them is giving this error when you try to login. I searched through
  config files and see that web.xml for the applicationfiltered=20
  but we think that we are not really reaching this 20 users limit. How is it possible
  that we are reaching this "Number of simultaneous users reached"? How is it possible
  to monitor the number of current active/inactive/... connections ? We tried with netstat -a filtering by port 8080 but we only see that a new connection is opened in TIME_WAIT every time that you try a login, and we see this behaviuor
  even when you didnt have any connection on port 8080.

  Environment:
  Tomcat 5.0.19
  Solaris 5.8

  Any help will be welcome.

  Thanks in advance

Re: Problem with next error during login: Number of simultaneous users reached

Posted by Jan Line <be...@yahoo.com>.
Andrew,

  The idea is to discover why we are getting during login the error: "Number of
  simultaneous users reached". Firstly we thought that this error was due because
  we were exceeding the maxusers=20 limit (that is, more than 20 users using
  the app simultaneously). We thought that this maxusers was a tomcat general parameter
  but now we think that is a particular parameter for this web app. What is now clear
  is that when we have 2 active sessions according to ant output then we get this
  error, but time ago we were able to open more sessions without problems, so it
  seems that something has changed the behaviour and here is where we are now.

  Does it exist any other parameter/config in tomcat which limit the number of
  active sessions per web app or a general limit (which was default=2 as we see)?

  TIA,

Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de> wrote:
  I do not really understand what you are trying to do here...

But you may get more information from http:///manager/status

As for 'maxUsers' in web.xml - no idea what that command does - never
seen it before.

Regards

Andrew

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.
I do not really understand what you are trying to do here...

But you may get more information from http://<myserver>/manager/status

Posted by Jan Line <be...@yahoo.com>.
Martin,

  you point a config parameter in tomcat 5.5, but we are using tomcat 5.0.19,
  I checked the same for 5.0 but maxthreads no appear there.

  See you,

Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
  MaxThreads is a configuration Specific to the connector
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/ajp.html

M-
addressed. If you have received this email message in error, please notify
message without making a copy. Thank you.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.

Re: Problem with next error during login: Number of simultaneous users reached

Posted by Jan Line <be...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Leon for the pointer. I see that lambdaprobe may help with our issue.
  But we cannot install this new application because our production environment
  is very concerned about new tools. That is the reason we are trying to get some
  info with solaris tools. We are limited but for the moment is the only toolkit
  we may use.

  See you,

Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
  http://www.lambdaprobe.org