Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Natarajan, Raj" <ra...@firstcitizens.com> on 2002/09/19 21:37:14 UTC

Tomcat 4.0.4 - Error 500

I have approx 25 applications deployed on a stand-alone Tomcat 4.0.4
instance. These apps retrieve data from a DB2 database via jsp's using a set
of custom tags.

I have had three instances so far since the apps went live on 8/28 when all
the apps start returning a 500 Error with this message.

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.lang.String.equals(String.java(Compiled Code))

The only log entry I found is in the localhost_log.2002-09-19.txt

StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.lang.String.equals(String.java(Compiled Code))

Restarting Tomcat fixes the problem.

I would greatly appreciate any pointers that would help me resolve this
problem.

Thanks
Raj

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

Re: Tomcat 4.0.4 - Error 500

Posted by Padhu Vinirs <p....@verizon.net>.
You might have to print the full stack of the NullPointerException to
find out which class could be creating this exception.

-- padhu