Posted to users@tiles.apache.org by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/14 00:17:05 UTC

Apache Tiles Wants YOU

Hello all,

I am sending this message to ensure that everyone who would like to
help Apache Tiles move forward has the opportunity to help. If you
have been watching the mailing lists you will have noticed that
Antonio Petrelli has been doing a lot of work. By "a lot of work" I
mean Antonio has done all the commits, most of the Jira updates and
release planning, and the vast majority of mailing list support for
quite a long time now. While we are immensely grateful for Antonio's
contributions we would obviously like a larger group of people to
participate in the development of this framework.

If you are subscribed to this list then you fall into one of two
categories: Either you are using Tiles on a regular basis for your
daily work, or you are curious about Tiles. Either way you need to
know that the future of Tiles depends on you. If you fall into the
first category and you made the decision to use Tiles then you can
help validate that decision by making the framework better. If you
fall into the first category and you did not make the decision and you
think Tiles sucks then you can fix that by making the framework better
:-) If you fall into the second category then you can satisfy your
curiosity by digging into and improving the code.

If you're wondering where to start check out the list of open issues:

    https://issues.apache.org/struts/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?&pid=10160&status=1&status=3&status=4&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC&tempMax=1000

You can see here everything from the Dimensions/Kaolin incubation to
database-driven Tiles definitions to all sorts of interesting
enhancements. Please have a look at the list and find things that
interest you and submit a patch. How do you submit a patch? It's quite
simple. Here's a quick guide:

1. Check out the source code.

    svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tiles/framework/trunk
    (or appropriate repo)

2. Make changes required.
3. Use Maven to build and test your code.
4. Create a patch.

    svn diff > patchfile.txt

5. Attach the patch file to the Jira ticket.

If you don't see anything on the list but you have other ideas for
Tiles we're interested in those too. Open a Jira ticket and do the
above steps to implement your changes.

If framework code doesn't interest you we could always use
documentation and/or examples or even snazzy screenshots and icons.
After you've done this a few times don't be surprised if you see an
invitation to become a Tiles committer.

If you still feel lost but want to help I will provide personal
assistance (via email and/or chat) to anyone who wants to step up and
do more but doesn't know where to start. Feel free to email me
privately if you need such help and I will absolutely do what I can. I
think Tiles can grow and succeed, but that necessitates the
involvement of many people. If you are benefiting from Tiles, please
step up and do what you can. If you are not benefiting then this is
your opportunity to become a hero :-)

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Apache Tiles Wants YOU

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Hi Greg (and any other Tiles committers)

Tiles is great and you're right that it could be even better, and kudos to all
the committers who have brought it so far. Tiles2 is a massive step up from
Tiles v1.

If an issue comes up where I can justify the time from a business perspective I
will certainly do what I can - I would be glad to offer some of my leisure time
too but I'm afraid my business has swallowed most of that :(

Best regards
Adam

Re: Apache Tiles Wants YOU

Posted by Pavel Sapozhnikov <pa...@gmail.com>.
Well great. If you can guide me at least on the architecture then I will do
my best to find time.

Pavel

--
Pavel Sapozhnikov
CDM

Re: Apache Tiles Wants YOU

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Apache Tiles Wants YOU

Posted by Pavel Sapozhnikov <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg and everybody else on this mailing list.

My name is Pavel Sapozhnikov and I have been using Tiles 1 together with
Struts 1 at my previous work while also experimenting with S2/Tiles2. I
really like both projects and I find them very useful for web development in
Java. I think Tiles 2 came long way from Tiles 1 and I am glad to see that.
I would love to help do some work on Tiles but lack of the knowledge of the
architecture and just simply lack of time due to my current job I might be
unable to help.

Good luck. I wish Tiles will still keep on going and when the opportunity
arises to write a java web app I will not think twice but use Tiles and
Struts.

Pavel

--
Pavel Sapozhnikov