Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/09 19:26:09 UTC

Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Here's what we have:

* Subversion is running on a Linux box under a fairly recent version
of Redhat. This is not exactly a high performance box, but I don't
think this is an issue. They use Subclipse as the plugin to allow
Eclipse to talk to Subversion.
* Our Subversion server is running release 1.5. However, it is still
using Format 2 instead of Format 3 because of issues with viewvc.
* Developers use Eclipse running on a Windows XP box. These boxes are
Pentium Dual Core running around 2.8Ghz and have betwen 1Gb and 2Gb of
memory. Diskspace is about 100Gb.
* Our application runs under JBoss. It isn't a .NET application (which
I know can cause performance issues). However, it really is a sort of
sprawling application. There are lots of JAR files that have to be
checked out (Most are probably not even needed, but that's another
story altogether). However, once you do a checkout, the JAR files
don't change.

A couple of developers are complaining about very poor performance.
They claim that Subversion is much slower than CVS (which we just
converted over from).

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improving
performance. Would putting the .svn folders as exemptions in our
.project file help? Would using a particular version of Eclipse or a
particular version of Subclipse? What about Subversive?

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 9-Dec-08, at 2:41 PM, Andy Levy wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 14:26, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Here's what we have:
>> A couple of developers are complaining about very poor performance.
>> They claim that Subversion is much slower than CVS (which we just
>> converted over from).
>
> I think more detail is needed. Is the perception that Subversion is
> slowing down the application when running under JBoss? Or that
> operations in Eclipse are slow? Or are all Subversion operations
> consistently slower than their CVS counterparts?

More detail is definitely needed. One area where a dev 'fresh from
CVS' might think Subversion slower is on initial checkout on a non-
trivial working copy.

--Toby

Posted by "Bolstridge, Andrew" <an...@intergraph.com>.
LOL. If Microsoft really designed Windows to perform badly with Java,
they shot themselves in the foot when they "invented" .NET :-)

I think the primary culprit is additional services though - like
indexing and particularly virus scanning. (once our sysadmin set the
virus scanner to check every file, my build times were horrendous as it
scanned every .obj file everytime they were written to...)

It might be worthwhile filtering the .svn directories from your scanner,
and seeing if that keeps your 25% performance increase (if you have a
virus, the working copy file will be infected too and that'll be
flagged)

The only other thing I would do is to try running on a different
filesystem, even if it's just FAT32.

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
JeremyP wrote:

>> I also think Microsoft designed Windows so programs like Java would
>> run poorly. That way, the could mitigate the threat Java caused on
>> their desktop monopoly.
>
> This is off topic, but I'm intrigued as to how you think that
> Microsoft could have designed an operating system that could recognise
> a particular class of program and sabotage its performance.

At least until recently, they simply used undocumented intefaces for
their own programs to give them an advantage over the worse-performing
documented versions and for things like office, they pre-load their own
shared libs into ram at boot time so everyone else looks worse.  Last
year they released tens of thousands of pages of previously withheld
documentation and specifications though, so perhaps the practice no
longer stands.

> If Java
> runs poorly on Windows compared to other programs, it's because the
> design of the Java VM is bad (at least in the the context of the
> Windows environment).

Java was a bit more evil:
http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-251401.html?tag=untagged
Microsoft originally sold 'something-like-java' that, if you used the
default settings, generated code that wasn't java, wasn't portable, and
made it look like everything but windows was broken.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Bob Archer wrote:
>> For the case of Java, however, Microsoft was actually very friendly to
>> the technology (for awhile). Their Java compiler and VM for Windows
>> were the fastest around. But this was in the 1990s, and Microsoft's
>> attitude toward Java has changed considerably since then.
>
> IIRC Sun didn't want MS shipping a JVM... especially one superior to the
> one Sun shipped. Nor did they want MS shipping a Java IDE which is why
> J++ was dropped. Sun's complaint was that if you used J++ apps wouldn't
> be cross platform which was only true if you used the Windows API
> extensions.

Which, if that was the only version of something-like-java that you
used, you would use because they were on by default and you wouldn't
know until you tested on a different platform that it wasn't portable.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> For the case of Java, however, Microsoft was actually very friendly to
> the technology (for awhile). Their Java compiler and VM for Windows
> were the fastest around. But this was in the 1990s, and Microsoft's
> attitude toward Java has changed considerably since then.

IIRC Sun didn't want MS shipping a JVM... especially one superior to the
one Sun shipped. Nor did they want MS shipping a Java IDE which is why
J++ was dropped. Sun's complaint was that if you used J++ apps wouldn't
be cross platform which was only true if you used the Windows API
extensions.

But, if Java is slow or bad on Windows it is only Sun's fault and not
MS's.

BOb

[OT] - Microsoft anticompetitive strategies - was Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 30-Jan-09, at 8:04 AM, Trevor Harmon wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2009, at 7:04 AM, Andy Levy wrote:
>
>> For some reason, somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall MS
>> getting caught doing exactly that - having an OS (it may have been as
>> far back as DOS) which intentionally ran certain programs slower than
>> the competing MS applications.
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of the legend of "DOS ain't done 'til Lotus
> won't run":
>
> http://www.proudlyserving.com/archives/2005/08/dos_aint_done_t.html
>
> Or the AARD code:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AARD_code
>
> For the case of Java, however, Microsoft was actually very friendly to
> the technology (for awhile).

They used a variation of "embrace, extend, extinguish" to try to kill
Java (and were successfully sued over it*). It's the same thing they
tried to do to HTML, using IE. All designed to achieve lock-in.

Silverlight is out of the same bag of tricks.

--T

* - http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=2005010107100653

Posted by Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 03:39, JeremyP <je...@jeremyp.net> wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2009, at 17:31, David Weintraub wrote:
>

>> I also think Microsoft designed Windows so programs like Java would
>> run poorly. That way, the could mitigate the threat Java caused on
>> their desktop monopoly.
>
> This is off topic, but I'm intrigued as to how you think that
> Microsoft could have designed an operating system that could recognise
> a particular class of program and sabotage its performance.  If Java
> runs poorly on Windows compared to other programs, it's because the
> design of the Java VM is bad (at least in the the context of the
> Windows environment).

For some reason, somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall MS
getting caught doing exactly that - having an OS (it may have been as
far back as DOS) which intentionally ran certain programs slower than
the competing MS applications. I tried a few searches but didn't find
anything, so I could be misremembering.

Java I/O (or at least Tomcat's) does seem ludicrously slow on Windows
vs. other OSes. I always assumed it was Java not being optimized for
it on the platform, but why Sun would allow that when they're
constantly fighting the "Java is slow" perception is beyond me.

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by JeremyP <je...@jeremyp.net>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
There are certain design issues in the Windows kernel that aren't as
efficient networking wise as on Unix based systems.

Unix based systems were written from the ground up to be network
based. It was assumed that applications wouldn't live on your desktop
machine, or that your files would be stored there.

In fact, it was quite possible that the computer on your desk didn't
even have a hard drive (it was booted off a network partition). Or,
even that you actually had a computer. (It could have been a simple
X11 terminal).

Windows, on the other hand, was written for a system that was assumed
to be stand alone. Your files are on that box. You run applications on
that box. Maybe there would be some networking but only for a file
here or there, but most of the time, it was all on your local box.

So, part of the issue for Windows machines is that they simply aren't
as fast as networking as their Unix counterparts. It wasn't part of
their specs.

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 28-Jan-09, at 1:09 PM, David Weintraub wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Toby Thain
> <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
>> I assume you saw the 10-fold (or better) increase in speed that
>> Jonathan
>> Taylor measured?
>
> I don't want to say a 10-fold speed increase. That means instead of
> something taking 20 minutes, it takes two. We were using Eclipse too
> which is a Java app, and Java apps aren't as fast on Windows as Linux.
> I never really measured the difference.
> ... If
> you're using VisualStudio, you're pretty much stuck with Windows when
> using Subversion.

That depends. The compilers and toolchain runs fine under WINE (for
x86, ia64 and x86_64 targets. I think the .NET tools as well, but I
have no use for those). Eclipse on Linux makes a nice Win32 IDE.

--Toby

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> I assume you saw the 10-fold (or better) increase in speed that Jonathan
> Taylor measured?

I don't want to say a 10-fold speed increase. That means instead of
something taking 20 minutes, it takes two. We were using Eclipse too
which is a Java app, and Java apps aren't as fast on Windows as Linux.
I never really measured the difference.

However, it is absolutely obvious that Subversion is usually faster on
Linux than on Windows, and even MS junkies admit to that.

And, the Gnome desktop is pretty good substitute for the Windows
desktop. The only real "Windows" applications we use are MS Office,
Outlook, and MS Project. Open Office is a pretty good substitute for
MS Office. Because we are using Exchange 2003 still, we can use
Evolution, and we can use VirtualBox when we need to run MS Project.

Unfortunately, I understand that not everyone is in my position. If

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 28-Jan-09, at 9:49 AM, David Weintraub wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Bolstridge, Andrew
>> There are a couple of tricks to speed up NTFS.
>
> My favorite is to install Linux over the NTFS partition ;-).
>
> The major problem is Windows playing mucky-mucky on the Subversion
> files. Every time a new file is created, Window Virus scanners scan it
> for viruses. ...
>
> If you have Windows Indexing suddenly trying to index a few thousand
> new files, you'll have even more problems. ...
>
> If possible, turn off virus scanning and Indexing on the directories
> where you do your checkouts.
>
> Fortunately, I was in the position where my development system didn't
> need Windows on it. I was able to install Fedora and that really sped
> things up.

I assume you saw the 10-fold (or better) increase in speed that
Jonathan Taylor measured?

I am sure that Reiser 3 would be even faster (if I recollect my own
experiences upgrading old RedHat systems to Gentoo+r3, I wouldn't be
surprised to see at least a further doubling of bulk working copy
operations versus ext2/3).

It strikes me that this information (that Linux/UNIX is 10-20x as
fast as Windows when working with Subversion working copies) should
be mentioned more prominently in the manual or FAQ. That factor must
soon have a tangible effect on productivity.

 From other recent threads here it appears there are also substantial

Posted by Jonathan Taylor <jo...@priceline.com>.

Re: Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Bolstridge, Andrew" <an...@intergraph.com>.

There are a couple of tricks to speed up NTFS. I havn't seen them do
that much in the real world, but if you're benchmarking.....

Firstly, turn of 'update access time':
	fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

Turn off the 8.3 filename creation:
	fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 1

Turn off all the "useful" windows services, like indexing, and make sure
you're not using compression (or encryption). Turn off system restore
for the partition too.

RE: Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Jonathan Taylor <jo...@priceline.com>.
Indeed, we have noticed the same thing here and done some controlled tests to verify it.

The tests were done on a medium-sized source tree from one of our projects.  Including the additional files that svn creates in the working copy, the working copy consists of about 7300 files and 4600 folders.

A checkout of the working copy into an empty directory takes 1:19 (79 seconds) to run on a Lenovo T61 laptop running Windows XP.  On the same laptop running Linux (with ext3), the same operation takes just 8 seconds.  On a MacBook Pro it takes about 11 seconds.

However, I have noticed that it takes significantly longer just to un-zip an archive containing lots of small files and folders on a Windows machine.  When I zipped up the working copy and then un-zipped it, it took more than a minute to un-zip on Windows and about 10 seconds on Linux.

Posted by B Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:05 PM, B Smith-Mannschott
<bs...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Just a datapoint:
>
> In this scenario I'm checking out a single trunk over https from the
> central svn server at my place of work. The resulting working copy consists
> of 21'239 files and 6'129 directories. (This count includes the
> administrative stuff in the .svn directories.)

The resulting working copy consumes 481 MB on disk.

> The server is running svn 1.4.x. Both clients are running a 1.5.x client.
>
> svn -q co https://..../trunk the-trunk
>
> (1) Windows XP; P4 HT@3GHz; NTFS; Single 7200 RPM HDD; McAffee virus
> scanner active and scanning-on-access.
>
> checkout takes 10 minutes
>
> (2) Linux  2.6.24-22 32-bit (Ubuntu); Core2Duo @ 2.6GHz; EXT3; Dual 7200
> RPM HDD in RAID 1 (Which speeds up reads, but not writes); No virus scanner.
>
> checkout takes 1 minute
>
> Conclusion: My employer provided workstation sucks weasles for software
> development. Other tests have tended to indicate that much of the blame
> belongs to the antivirus software (and the operating system which makes it
> necessary).
>
> It is true and unfortunate that Subversion's working copy management
> requires a lot of file individual file-system operations. Clearly this is
> one area where Windows+NTFS+McAffee can't hold a candle to Linux.
>
> For those stuck on Windows, one can hope that the working copy rewrite will
> narrow the gap between Windows and Linux.
>
> --
// Ben Smith-Mannschott

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by B Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by B Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 23:00, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's mainly using Subversion for updating and checking out where they
> notice it slower. I know that Subversion has a lot more data that's
> brought over the network, and Windows is not good at transferring data
> over the network, but it should be faster than CVS in updating,
> diffing, revering, and other activities because it doesn't have to
> connect to the server to fetch a lot of data.
>
> We are using http:// w/ LDAP authorization, and FSFS. One programmer
> is saying that FSFS is what makes it so slow.
>
> Anyway, I was just curious whether or not this seemed to be an issue
> with anyone. Or whether Subclipse or Subversive was a better plugin
> for Eclipse.

Is it the network access & server that's slow, or is it local
performance? Remember that Subversion pulls everything down into a
temp directory in the .svn directory, then copies it to the "real"
location. So disk I/O can be a killer. Especially if you're running an
on-access virus scanner.

An anecdotal data point: after I upgraded my repositories to 1.5 (and
our clients as well; we're running Windows all around, so this is
TortoiseSVN), a co-worker told me that his SVN operations were
noticeably faster than before. I, OTOH, noticed little to no
improvement (same repositories), and in some cases maybe even a
performance degradation. His system is significantly better in I/O
performance than mine, in part due to a faster hard drive and in part
because my system desperately needs to be reimaged.

I've also noticed that Java disk I/O seems to be much slower on
Windows than other OSes.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:47, Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> On 9-Dec-08, at 11:00 PM, David Weintraub wrote:
>
>> It's mainly using Subversion for updating and checking out where they
>> notice it slower. I know that Subversion has a lot more data that's
>> brought over the network, and Windows is not good at transferring data
>> over the network, but it should be faster than CVS in updating,
>> diffing, revering, and other activities because it doesn't have to
>> connect to the server to fetch a lot of data.
>

> I find it hard to believe that anyone with typical development patterns
> (not, for example, managing 20MB binary files) would have any problems with
> Subversion's speed. I never have, on dozens of projects and multi-GB
> repositories, often accessed internationally via VPN.
>

>> We are using http:// w/ LDAP authorization, and FSFS. One programmer
>> is saying that FSFS is what makes it so slow.
>
> Not in any way that a remote user could ever notice! The remark is baseless.

I get the feeling that, since it's only a subset of developers (David
originally wrote "a couple of developers..." which implies to me that
the majority are not reporting issues), this is more about those
developers who are complaining resisting the change to Subversion
because they're set in their ways and not them having valid issues
with the system itself.

Or, maybe their systems are misconfigured.

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 9-Dec-08, at 11:00 PM, David Weintraub wrote:

> It's mainly using Subversion for updating and checking out where they
> notice it slower. I know that Subversion has a lot more data that's
> brought over the network, and Windows is not good at transferring data
> over the network, but it should be faster than CVS in updating,
> diffing, revering, and other activities because it doesn't have to
> connect to the server to fetch a lot of data.

I find it hard to believe that anyone with typical development
patterns (not, for example, managing 20MB binary files) would have
any problems with Subversion's speed. I never have, on dozens of
projects and multi-GB repositories, often accessed internationally
via VPN.

> We are using http:// w/ LDAP authorization, and FSFS. One programmer
> is saying that FSFS is what makes it so slow.

Not in any way that a remote user could ever notice! The remark is
baseless.

> Anyway, I was just curious whether or not this seemed to be an issue
> with anyone. Or whether Subclipse or Subversive was a better plugin
> for Eclipse.

I've used Subclipse for 4+ years, it's excellent.

--Toby

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 18:01, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to get this running on my machine. This is a dual core
> Pentium with a gigabyte of memory. Checking out in Subversion via
> Eclipse Ganymede using the most recent copy of Subclipse and running
> SVNkit took almost 13 minutes.
>
> A similar task on Linux via the command line takes about five.
> However, checking out from CVS was not much faster. It took about 10
> minutes. This is a big project (probably too big).

What do you get w/ Windows on the command line, to compare Linux vs.
Windows w/o Eclipse being a factor? Or, try Eclipse/Subclipse on Linux
to compare with Windows/Eclipse/Subclipse. Either way, it sounds like
you're making good progress against the claims that these developers
are making about SVN.

Is it possible to break the project down into smaller chunks to check
out? Granted, you can't *stop* the developers from checking out "too
much", but you can at least offer them alternatives to get things done
quicker.

OTOH, how frequently do they *really* need to be checking out a full
WC in the first place?

> I've tried a merge, and Eclipse crashed (probably needs more memory
> for its Java process. I'm attempting to try again.
>
> What I am trying to find out is who uses Windows XP/Eclipse/Subversion
> combination and whether they also have performance issues. Do you use
> Subversive or Subclipse? Do you use SVNKit or JavaHL (which doesn't
> seem available on my installation)?

It's been so long since I set up Eclipse & Subversion that I've
forgotten what I'm using - probably whatever the default is. I haven't
had a chance yet to run a checkout w/ Eclipse & the command line for
my project to see if there's a significant difference.

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Andy Levy wrote:
>> Why would you have to license SVNKit? If you're a "consumer"
>> of it, or distributing an Open Source project that uses it,
>> it's Open Source. If you want to integrate it into a non-Open
>> Source application, then you have to license it.
>>
>> http://svnkit.com/licensing.html
>
> The license could be read in two ways:
>
> * If you have a proprietary commercial application, and you
> redistribute SVNKit with your application, you need to pay a licensing
> fee.
>
> * If you used SVNKit while developing your proprietary commercial
> application, you need to pay a licensing fee.
>
> I read it the second way because it doesn't make much sense to read it
> the first way for open source applications. Most open source licenses
> wouldn't allow the project to have a proprietary component like SVNKit
> to be distributed as part of the application.
>
> Besides, if the first example this was the case, how many licenses
> would TMate Software be selling? Only commercial proprietary
> applications that were written in Java and needed access to Subversion
> would have to pay a licensing fee. So, you are pretty much limiting it
> to Java based, proprietary IDEs.

You are reading their license incorrectly.  Feel free to email
support@svnkit.com for clarification.

The intent of their license is basically that it is OK to use it in
open source applications, but they also offer a commercial license so
that people that want to embed SVN functionality in commercial
applications have to license it from them.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Evolution is a Linux only package and uses GNOME. The Exchange
interface is via the OWA (Outlook Web Access) which is very limited
and most larger corporate users don't support OWA.

I've never tried Evolution. If I reconfigure my machine as a Linux
system, I'll have to give it a try.

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 15:32 -0500, Bob Archer wrote:
> What about Evolution?
>
> http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/index.shtml
>
> I've heard about it... but never tried it.
>
> BOb

Huh - this got WAAAAYYYYYYY off topic.  But I can truly contribute to
this one...

Evolution's current Exchange connector uses the Outlook Web Access on
your corporate Exchange server up to Exchange2003.  I used it this way
for years at my previous job.  MS changed their web access protocols
with Exchange 2007(from a glorified webDav to some sick SharePoint-esque
type of beast).

The current Exchange connector will NOT connect to Exchange 2007.  The
folks at Evolution are working on a MAPI solution that looked like it
was preparing for alpha stages.
http://www.go-evolution.org/MAPIProvider

btw - on the topic itself - ours isn't a huge repo, but our Windows
times are not that different from the Linux ones.  In our case, we have
set anti-virus exceptions on a specific folder that the code / working
copy goes into.  This keeps the developers happy and IT happy.

Regards,
Frank

RE: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
What about Evolution?

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 14:21 -0500, Bob Archer wrote:

> [...]

Settings -> Look and Feel -> Status Cache (assuming a version of TSVN
greater than 1.4) -
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/tsvn_1.4_releasenotes.html

Also check out this link -
http://www.paraesthesia.com/archive/2007/09/26/optimize-tortoise-svn-cache-tsvncache.exe-disk-io.aspx

Regards,
Frank

RE: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@open.collab.net>.

The TSVNCache process has a file system monitor that scans 'open'
directories (and below that) for changes. This continuous scan can really
hurt your disk performance.. especially when you also have that anti-virus
software that watches the original changes and TSVNCache monitoring the
changes (by reading the files).

If you're comparing merge performance, please try with Subversion 1.5.4
instead of older versions. Some unneeded disk scanning issues were resolved
in that version.

Another noticeable speedup will be that the Subversion 1.6 libraries will
reduce delays when it detects a file system that has a better timestamp
precision than 1 second. (Subversion has to wait until the next timestamp
after many operations).

NTFS users will see this as performance improvement of the working copy, as
will users of other OSs with a modern file system. (ufs on FreeBSD, on
Linux: reiser4, ext4 and some others.)

	Bert

Re: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
I just talked to our one developer who was smart enough to reformat
his drive and put Linux on it. He's running Fedora and VirtualBox with
XP. I thought he was using Outlook running under VirtualBox, but he's
using Evolution and says it works great. He has full access to the
calendar and his Exchange email.

I'm getting a new system next week, and I'm going to try the same
setup. If it works, I'll encourage all the developers to try a similar
setup.

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 11-Dec-08, at 11:54 AM, Bob Archer wrote:

> Great idea if you can do it. "Unfortunately" a few of us develop for
> ASP.Net using Visual Studio... which last I checked doesn't run on
> Linux. Oh well, maybe the VS 2010 will have a native Linux version. ;)

The CLI compilers and toolchain runs fine under WINE...

--Toby

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:54, Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com> wrote:
> Great idea if you can do it. "Unfortunately" a few of us develop for
> ASP.Net using Visual Studio... which last I checked doesn't run on
> Linux. Oh well, maybe the VS 2010 will have a native Linux version. ;)
>
> Until then, it would be nice to see some performance improvements for
> the windows stack. When it the new .svn structure going to happen? Is
> this slated for 1.6 or later?

According to the roadmap [1], 1.6.0 is coming pretty soon (so if it's
not slated for 1.6 yet, it won't happen there), and "centralized"
metadata is "eventually."

1: http://subversion.tigris.org/roadmap.html

RE: Subversion/Eclipse Performance on Windows

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@telegraphics.com.au>.
On 10-Dec-08, at 12:06 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> 2008/12/9 David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>:
>> We are using http:// w/ LDAP authorization, and FSFS. One programmer
>> is saying that FSFS is what makes it so slow.
>
> One thing you might want to check is whether your LDAP authorisation
> is working optimally.
>
> At my previous place of employment the initial setup did authorisation
> *per file* instead of per command. This made access very slow. Your
> administrators should be able to tell by looking at the logs whether
> this is the case.
>
> "FSFS makes it so slow" is nonsense but we did notice a definite
> advantage to using Linux instead of Windows (Linux is faster),
> especially for svn co.

Ah! I've always used Linux or OS X as client, so I have nothing to
complain about :-)

The plaintiffs may consider upgrading ... :)

--Toby

Posted by Hilco Wijbenga <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Here's what I finally did: I got rid of Windows and installed Fedora
on my PC. Performance is much better, and other developers will be
following suit.

As developers, we spend very little time in Windows only applications,
and most of our time in cross-platform applications. We use
Subversion, Eclipse, and JBoss. The only real issue is access to our
mail, and we use Evolution as the mail client on our Linux boxes to
handle that. I understand this may not work for Exchange 2007, but it
works for Exchange 2003.

I am not sure exactly what was causing the performance problem. I
suspect that it is our anti-virus software which not only inspected
each file downloaded, but also checked the contents of every file that
Subversion created on our system. It could be that Java based
applications run much faster under Linux than Windows.

Whatever it is, we found that the problem seems to be with the OS and
not with Eclipse or Subversion.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's what we have:
>
> * Subversion is running on a Linux box under a fairly recent version
> of Redhat. This is not exactly a high performance box, but I don't
> think this is an issue. They use Subclipse as the plugin to allow
> Eclipse to talk to Subversion.
> * Our Subversion server is running release 1.5. However, it is still
> using Format 2 instead of Format 3 because of issues with viewvc.
> * Developers use Eclipse running on a Windows XP box. These boxes are
> Pentium Dual Core running around 2.8Ghz and have betwen 1Gb and 2Gb of
> memory. Diskspace is about 100Gb.
> * Our application runs under JBoss. It isn't a .NET application (which
> I know can cause performance issues). However, it really is a sort of
> sprawling application. There are lots of JAR files that have to be
> checked out (Most are probably not even needed, but that's another
> story altogether). However, once you do a checkout, the JAR files
> don't change.
>
> A couple of developers are complaining about very poor performance.
> They claim that Subversion is much slower than CVS (which we just
> converted over from).
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improving
> performance. Would putting the .svn folders as exemptions in our
> .project file help? Would using a particular version of Eclipse or a
> particular version of Subclipse? What about Subversive?
>
> --
> David Weintraub
> qazwart@gmail.com

David Weintraub