Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jon Card <jc...@crownpartners.com> on 2007/10/24 02:33:49 UTC

Building old versions

I'm trying to add something to the most recent release of
org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia, 1.0-alpha-9. My POM works find when I get
the plugin from the repository, but when I check out the code tagged as
1.0-alpha-9, build it, and install it, I get an exception:

[INFO] Trace

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/XmlStreamReader

        at
org.apache.maven.doxia.book.services.io.DefaultBookIo.readBook(DefaultBo
okIo.java:65)

        at
org.apache.maven.doxia.book.DefaultBookDoxia.loadBook(DefaultBookDoxia.j
ava:75)

        at
org.apache.maven.doxia.plugin.DoxiaRenderBooksMojo.execute(DoxiaRenderBo
oksMojo.java:189)

        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginMa
nager.java:412)

        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Default
LifecycleExecutor.java:534)

        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifec
ycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:475)

        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultL
ifecycleExecutor.java:454)

        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandle
Failures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)

        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)

        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifec
ycleExecutor.java:140)

        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)

        at
a:39)

        at
Impl.java:25)

        at

        at

[INFO]

The only reference I've found to such an exception in the past is to
more recent builds, where a dependency had to be added. This has a
different stack trace and the plugin works in the released version. Am I
not building it right? The exception happens when I check out the HEAD,
as well, and with a clean check-out (without my changes, which are in a
different part of the code).

Jon Card
Crown Partners
O 303.350.1115
M 303.916.3966
F 303.770.9054
jcard@crownpartners.com <ma...@crownpartners.com>

 Crown Partners is pleased to announce the acquisition of Phoenix Systems, Platform Dynamics US, and Platform Dynamics Europe (www.platformdynamics.net). This integration reiterates our commitment to Enterprise Content Management software products, premier services and global expansion.
Crown is also identified as America's 101st fastest growing, privately held, software company in 2007 by Inc Magazine's Inc500 list.  See us at www.crownpartners.com. This is the second year in a row that Crown has been identified in the prestigious Inc500 list.

This communication and all accompanying attachments and related information and data is confidential and proprietary information of Crown Partners, LLC.  This communication is intended solely for receipt by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.  This communication may contain nonpublic information about individuals and businesses subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information. 7750 Paragon Rd., Dayton OH 45459.

RE: Building old versions

Posted by Jon Card <jc...@crownpartners.com>.
I understand that there's a lot of discussion going on about a release,
but I had a follow up question to the one below.

With a fresh checkout of the code at
"maven/doxia/doxia/tags/doxia-1.0-alpha-9", I built "doxia-book" and
decompiled "BookModelXpp3Reader.class", which "diff" indicated differed
from the jar of the same version that is downloaded from the Maven
repository. Noting that my version of "jad" claims not to work with
class file versions 48.0 (only 45.3, 46.0, and 47.0), it should fail
consistently between the two, right? But the decompiler output from the
two sources is different. I've been assuming that, if I check out the
version tagged as "doxia-1.0-alpha-9" and run the build, the results
should be the same as the jar file in the Maven repository, but I'm
seeing methods with a different method signatures, even. Is that a bad
assumption? Is there a way to recreate the last release?

Jonathan Card

(www.platformdynamics.net <http://www.platformdynamics.net/> ). This

www.crownpartners.com <http://www.crownpartners.com/> . This is the

Re: Building old versions

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
The upcoming versions of the site-plugin and project-info-reports-plugin
has a minimum requirement of Maven 2.0.6 for this reason.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Building old versions

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

RE: Building old versions

Jon Card wrote:
> I'm trying to add something to the most recent release of
> org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia, 1.0-alpha-9. My POM works find when I
get
> the plugin from the repository, but when I check out the code tagged
as
> 1.0-alpha-9, build it, and install it, I get an exception:
>

> [INFO] Trace
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/XmlStreamReader

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.services.io.DefaultBookIo.readBook(DefaultBo
okIo.java:65)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.DefaultBookDoxia.loadBook(DefaultBookDoxia.j
ava:75)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.plugin.DoxiaRenderBooksMojo.execute(DoxiaRenderBo
oksMojo.java:189)

>         at

org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginMa
nager.java:412)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Default
LifecycleExecutor.java:534)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifec
ycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:475)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultL
ifecycleExecutor.java:454)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandle
Failures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifec
ycleExecutor.java:140)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:115)

>         at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:256)

>         at

a:39)

>         at

Impl.java:25)

--
Dennis Lundberg

RE: Building old versions

Jon Card wrote:
> I'm trying to add something to the most recent release of
> org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia, 1.0-alpha-9. My POM works find when I
get
> the plugin from the repository, but when I check out the code tagged
as
> 1.0-alpha-9, build it, and install it, I get an exception:
>

> [INFO] Trace
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/XmlStreamReader

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.services.io.DefaultBookIo.readBook(DefaultBo
okIo.java:65)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.DefaultBookDoxia.loadBook(DefaultBookDoxia.j
ava:75)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.plugin.DoxiaRenderBooksMojo.execute(DoxiaRenderBo
oksMojo.java:189)

>         at

org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginMa
nager.java:412)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Default
LifecycleExecutor.java:534)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifec
ycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:475)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultL
ifecycleExecutor.java:454)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandle
Failures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifec
ycleExecutor.java:140)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:115)

>         at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:256)

>         at

a:39)

>         at

Impl.java:25)

RE: Building old versions

Jon Card wrote:
> I'm trying to add something to the most recent release of
> org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia, 1.0-alpha-9. My POM works find when I
get
> the plugin from the repository, but when I check out the code tagged
as
> 1.0-alpha-9, build it, and install it, I get an exception:
>

> [INFO] Trace
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/XmlStreamReader

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.services.io.DefaultBookIo.readBook(DefaultBo
okIo.java:65)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.DefaultBookDoxia.loadBook(DefaultBookDoxia.j
ava:75)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.plugin.DoxiaRenderBooksMojo.execute(DoxiaRenderBo
oksMojo.java:189)

>         at

org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginMa
nager.java:412)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Default
LifecycleExecutor.java:534)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifec
ycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:475)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultL
ifecycleExecutor.java:454)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandle
Failures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifec
ycleExecutor.java:140)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:115)

>         at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:256)

>         at

a:39)

>         at

Impl.java:25)

RE: Building old versions

Posted by Jon Card <jc...@crownpartners.com>.
Ok, disregard the last message from me, then. My email wasn't updating
and I didn't get your message, and mine didn't send, until just now.

Thanks.

Jonathan Card

Jon Card wrote:
> I'm trying to add something to the most recent release of
> org.apache.maven.doxia:doxia, 1.0-alpha-9. My POM works find when I
get
> the plugin from the repository, but when I check out the code tagged
as
> 1.0-alpha-9, build it, and install it, I get an exception:
>

> [INFO] Trace
>
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/XmlStreamReader

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.services.io.DefaultBookIo.readBook(DefaultBo
okIo.java:65)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.book.DefaultBookDoxia.loadBook(DefaultBookDoxia.j
ava:75)

>         at

org.apache.maven.doxia.plugin.DoxiaRenderBooksMojo.execute(DoxiaRenderBo
oksMojo.java:189)

>         at

org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginMa
nager.java:412)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Default
LifecycleExecutor.java:534)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifec
ycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:475)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultL
ifecycleExecutor.java:454)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandle
Failures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)

>         at

org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifec
ycleExecutor.java:140)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)

>         at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:115)

>         at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:256)

>         at

a:39)

>         at

Impl.java:25)