Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org> on 2010/08/17 01:02:19 UTC

[REPORT] CouchDB

This is the Apache Board report for August 2010.

Apache CouchDB is a distributed JSON document database with HTTP API.

1.0.0 and 0.11.1 Released In July.

Discovered a data-inaccessibility bug pertaining to the 1.0 release.
Community developers quickly released a detailed announcement and repair tool
both receiving praise from users. http://couchdb.apache.org/notice/1.0.1.html

Just released 0.11.2 and 1.0.1 as maintenance versions, the later containing a
fix for the aforementioned bug

Couchio released and maintains turn-key Apache CouchDB installer for Linux
users.

Lots of name recognition on a CouchDB application hosting and reporting the
Afghanistan Wikileaks data.

Couchio ported CouchDB for Android. Download and update through the
marketplace. iOS support is underway.

Cloudant makes fascinating teaser blog post about their high-availability
CouchDB clusters for their hosting service.

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> What has the Apache CouchDB PMC done over the reporting period? What
> > is the status of the community? Any new committers or PMC members? Are
> > there any Board-level or legal issues that came up and/or need to be
> > resolved? I'd like to hear what the *project* is doing.
>
> I think the report covers all of that.

There are in fact 2 new committers: myself and Robert Newson.

cheers

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 17 Aug 2010, at 04:23, Greg Stein wrote:

> I don't want to hear updates about commercial developers. It is
> somewhat interesting, but should not comprise half of the project's
> report.

Why not?

Should we consider corporate uses of CouchDB to be less important than other uses? As far as I was aware, this is just as much a part of the community activity around the project as anything else is. If this reporting period contains a lot of that, then maybe it's just because there was more of it. I wouldn't want to think we were leaving things out so as to make the report sound "appropriately" less business focused.

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
Developers (no matter if commercial or not) are part of the community like everybody else, IMHO.

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Aug 17, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 13:46, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Of course they are. This issue is about the concept of "hats". A commercial developer working on an Apache project on a company time effectively wears 2 hats - an individual and an employee. Apache is an org of individuals not companies, so here we expect you to be with your "individual hat" on, e.g. when making development decisions, writing a Board report and otherwise interacting with the community. This is a fine line to walk to be sure, but so far it worked out well for the majority of the projects.
>>
>> My (Apache hat) reasoning for okaying these entries was that we did mention other significant extra-project news in the past. The Canonical/Ubuntu adoption was big news, as was the publication of the O'Reilly book. I classified these two under the same umbrella.
>
> Yup. Both big items. We've seen plenty of book announcements, speech
> acceptances, major deployments, etc in the reports. They *are* fair
> game, and I don't think anybody is asking to avoid stuff like that.
>
> What struck me about this particular report was "$x is doing $y with
> CouchDB" statements, and I think "great. but that is how they are
> *using* CouchDB rather than what they are doing *for* the project."
> There are lots of companies that monetize Apache projects. We *expect*
> them to. But I'd prefer to see reporting on how those companies
> directly contribute rather than their use. (yes, I recognize that a
> company's success/use of our projects is a form of
> advertising/support/help for our projects, but I take that as a given)

I think getting CouchDB into the Android marketplace is a huge accomplishment. It also isn't the sort of thing the Apache project is well set up to do on its own. So just doing this is giving back to the project in my book.

As far as the hosting stuff, etc, we've been giving back to the open source community (but not into Apache CouchDB trunk) as generic build tools like this (used for hosting, etc) aren't really suited for core CouchDB anyway: http://github.com/jhs/build-couchdb

The other stuff is nice because it drives adoption (which matters more than any amount of bugfixes etc -- who cares about a project no-one uses?)

I agree it'd be nice to spotlight the individual community members in board reports. I also think some of this is just growing pains, as CouchDB is starting to become larger than the Apache CouchDB project itself can contain. Maybe it is better to ignore the extra-Apache activity in board reports. But I'd rather include it, because I'd rather have one strong CouchDB community (with activity both inside and outside the project) than try to draw a line between different aspects of the community.

I understand that it is possible for some projects to become primarily commercially driven, with little given back to the community. At this point, I don't think CouchDB in anywhere near that, and I hope that in the long term, we never have that issue.

Chris

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.
Greg, it's my fault for forgetting to report the new contributors. Apologies. Next report I'll se to it that more of individual community members and their contributions are included.

-Damien

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 17 Aug 2010, at 16:23, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:
>
>> Developers (no matter if commercial or not) are part of the community like everybody else, IMHO.
>
> Of course they are. This issue is about the concept of "hats". A commercial developer working on an Apache project on a company time effectively wears 2 hats - an individual and an employee. Apache is an org of individuals not companies, so here we expect you to be with your "individual hat" on, e.g. when making development decisions, writing a Board report and otherwise interacting with the community. This is a fine line to walk to be sure, but so far it worked out well for the majority of the projects.

My (Apache hat) reasoning for okaying these entries was that we did mention other significant extra-project news in the past. The Canonical/Ubuntu adoption was big news, as was the publication of the O'Reilly book. I classified these two under the same umbrella.

The not mentioning new committers was clearly an oversight.

In the future we'll try to keep extra-project news to a minimum.

Thanks for all your input!

Cheers
Jan

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
[simple resend, putting dev@couchdb back on the distro list]

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
On Aug 17, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:

> Developers (no matter if commercial or not) are part of the community like everybody else, IMHO.

Of course they are. This issue is about the concept of "hats". A commercial developer working on an Apache project on a company time effectively wears 2 hats - an individual and an employee. Apache is an org of individuals not companies, so here we expect you to be with your "individual hat" on, e.g. when making development decisions, writing a Board report and otherwise interacting with the community. This is a fine line to walk to be sure, but so far it worked out well for the majority of the projects.

Andrus

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com> wrote:

>  Often times, I also have an issue with focus on commercial developers.
> However, with CouchDB specifically, the commercial developers are also the
> most active and helpful community members. Does it make a difference if you
> just say Couchio and Cloudant or give the specific developer names? If it
> does, I suppose those developers names could be used, but really this will
> just be translated into Couchio and Cloudant for everyone involved,
> effectively rendering this a non-issue.

I wouldn't say the commercial developpers are necessarily the most active
and helpful community members.
Look for example at Robert Newson. He's not employed by Couchio or Cloudant
and yet he's constantly helping users through the users' mailing list and
the IRC channel. And of course, he does many code contributions as well and
participates a lot in the development discussions.

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Wendall Cada <we...@83864.com>.

Re: [REPORT] CouchDB

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.