Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by co...@eng.sun.com on 2000/02/09 23:42:26 UTC

Code move

Hi,

I think it's a good idea to move all j2ee-specific code
in a separate location ( jakarta-tomcat/src/j2ee ).

It will work in the same way as Catalina - you can build
the "core" tomcat and after that compile j2ee code.

This is needed for several reasons:
- core will no longer have j2ee "legacy" inside

- I hope that will make everything easier to read

- will help us to find out what is actually needed to embed
tomcat in any other application and create a set of interfaces
( j2ee-tomcat integration is similar and will help the integration
of tomcat in other applications)

- in the main tree ( jakarta-tomcat/src/share ) we'll have only the
basic code, with no fancy features ( sort of reference implementation).
All fancy features will be added in the final build, but we want to
be able to build with only the "raw" tomcat.
( that means some features will also move - like serving from war, etc.
We will still have them in the final build, but will not be part of the
main tree)

Let me know what you think, I plan to do the move tomorrow if I receive
no veto.

Costin

Re: Code move

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
costin@eng.sun.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think it's a good idea to move all j2ee-specific code
> in a separate location ( jakarta-tomcat/src/j2ee ).

+1, although in an ideal world the only J2EE-specific code would be in a
J2EE implementation.  If the standard Tomcat architecture is not powerful
enough, the core should be extended to meet (generic) J2EE requirements --
on the other hand, J2EE implementors (even Sun) should *not* be allowed to
dictate internal architecture dependencies in Tomcat.

Craig McClanahan