Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/06/05 17:52:38 UTC

Re: [RT] Why using views - in comparison with "old fashion" skins - usecase i18n.

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 14:37 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > hello devs,
> >
> > I just work on the i18n integration for pelt and crossed again the whys
> > for using views. ;-)
>
> This mail makes for a pretty good piece of documentation.

:) It explains a wee bit better what I am doing to create the
contracts. ;-)

> A number of times over the last couple of weeks I have wanted to write a
> mail asking you to write some user level documentation for views. You
> see, I keep finding a few minutes to play with new stuff and Views is
> one of the things I keep starting up and looking at. However, I never
> get past looking at it.
>
> The reason is that I am thoroughly confused by the huge amount of RT's
> that have been posted on this subject. It currently seems to me that
> views are the solution to eveything. This makes it really difficult for
> me to get started. So I was going to ask you to write a simple How-To on
> creating a new contract, and then embedding it in my own site.

Yeah I can understand that. Did you see
whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.viewHelper.xhtml/src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml

I will extend that with this RT and write a howto.

> As I say, I have resisted asking you to do this because I know I have
> very little time for views until 0.7 is released, all my none payed for
> time is currently spent on the 0.7 release. However, this RT is *almost*
> the how to I want to see so perhaps I should be brave enough to ask.

:)

> Is there any chance you can move the *user* relevant parts into a How-To
> for views? It doesn't matter if it is not complete, just something that
> will enable poor old me to get past the confusion of "views does
> everything" to views does "this nice simple task like this".

Yeah I will extend as well the part of using basic forrest:views for
writing view configs.

> Maybe my poor little brain can catch up with you then :-)

I need as well to write some slides for the upcoming workshop about
views. How did you do it again within forrest. ;-)

> Thanks,
> Ross

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [RT] Why using views - in comparison with "old fashion" skins - usecase i18n.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 14:37 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>> So I was going to ask you to write a simple How-To on
>>creating a new contract, and then embedding it in my own site.
>>

> Yeah I can understand that. Did you see
> whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.viewHelper.xhtml/src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml
>
> I will extend that with this RT and write a howto.

Yeah, I did, but it didn't help much. I'm a bit slow, I need a set of
instructions, I found that doc left too many unanswered questions. Of
course, I could ask them onlist, and will do so when I have the time to
properly discuss and experiment. However, since this RT made me thin
"ah... I get it" I'd hate for it to be lost in the mail archives.

> I need as well to write some slides for the upcoming workshop about
> views. How did you do it again within forrest. ;-)

Answered in another mail since it is another subject.

Ross

Using Forrest for presentations

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> I need as well to write some slides for the upcoming workshop about
> views. How did you do it again within forrest. ;-)

You need the s5 plugin http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/plugins/#s5 .
This is not available in our SVN because it includes some GPL code.

You can create your slides in OpenOffice Impress or you can mark
sections as being a slide with @class="slide", or you can even let the
plugin "guess" at what the bullets should be. As with all my plugins
there are some demo's in the package.

I've used the plugin for a number of presentations, but it is still a
0.1 release, let me know if you find problems.

Ross