Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Phil Cowans <pj...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> on 2002/02/25 14:50:26 UTC

Cocoon in a multi-user environment

I have a specific project which I believe would be well suited to Cocoon,
however, the project needs to be served from a machine which provides web
hosting for a large number of people. It is conceivable that one Cocoon is
installed, other users will want to use it too. Hence I would like to know
whether there are any security issues involved with using Cocoon in this
way. Particularly, is it possible for multiple users to use the same
Cocoon installation without having to give them access to each other's
files, databases etc.

Yours,

Phil Cowans

RE: Cocoon in a multi-user environment

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
Phil,

you may also want to check out the authentication components we donated last
week. They are currently in the scratchpad. They allow you to authenticate
users and protect resources (pipelines) dependent on the authentication.

Matthew

Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de
           Weblogging at: http://www.need-a-cake.com

> I have a specific project which I believe would be well suited to
Cocoon,
> however, the project needs to be served from a machine which provides
web
> hosting for a large number of people. It is conceivable that one
Cocoon is
> installed, other users will want to use it too. Hence I would like to
know
> whether there are any security issues involved with using Cocoon in
this
> way. Particularly, is it possible for multiple users to use the same
> Cocoon installation without having to give them access to each other's
> files,

This is already possible...

> databases etc.

... and this is not yet.

Take a look at <map:mount/>, one of possible use cases is to have one
sub sitemap for every user. It could look like:

<map:match pattern="~*/**">
  <map:mount uri-prefix="~{1}" src="/home/{1}/cocoon_pub/"
check-reload="yes"/>
</map:match>

Then every user who have ~/cocoon_pub directory and sitemap.xmap file
under it could have own Cocoon powered site. Every user will inherit
components declared in the parent sitemap, and will have no access to
other user's components/configuration.

Vadim

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Phil Cowans [mailto:pjc51@hermes.cam.ac.uk]
>
> I have a specific project which I believe would be well suited to
Cocoon,
> however, the project needs to be served from a machine which provides
web
> hosting for a large number of people. It is conceivable that one
Cocoon is
> installed, other users will want to use it too. Hence I would like to
know
> whether there are any security issues involved with using Cocoon in
this
> way. Particularly, is it possible for multiple users to use the same
> Cocoon installation without having to give them access to each other's
> files,

This is already possible...