Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Andre Brito <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/01 14:42:23 UTC

Re: Remote access through network

I'm not sure I can give you any advice, since I don't have much experience in
developing websites. I usually go to the site index and "Ctrl-F-it" what I'm
trying to find. Not the best way, but I got used to it.

BTW, there's a bug in a few pages.
Look at this one:
http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/testing-transactions-example.html

I'm using Windows Seven with Firefox 4, and right above the "The Code"
session, there's an exception:

> Error formatting macro: snippet: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException:
> Index: 20, Size: 20

I saw this in another session, but I can't remember where.

I know you guys try your best to provide the best documentation and
everything, but sometimes I find a little bit difficult to find things.
Don't know why. Maybe it's just me.

Regards,
Andre.

Re: Remote access through network

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 6, 2011, at 10:31 AM, Andre Brito wrote:

> David Blevins-2 wrote:
>> Git should be fine.  The Apache repo on Github is read-only, so we'll
>> still need a patch file for any changes rather than a pull request.
>
> Hum. If things are easier with SVN, I can use SVN, not a problem. Eclipse's
> plugin does pretty much everything. Is that easier / faster?

Git or svn will create patches, so either one works.

-David

Re: Remote access through network

Posted by Andre Brito <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 5, 2011, at 8:38 PM, Andre Brito wrote:

> Yeah man, let's do it.

Awesome!

> Already forked the project from Github. Hope during the week I can write
> something (if not, weekend for sure). Then I'll commit and pull the issue.
> Do you think that it's a nice way to start? I mean... I don't like very much
> to document things, but I think it's a nice way to learn from the examples.
> A good start. Then maybe, someday, write code with you guys?
>
> I'll use git. Will that be a problem?

Git should be fine.  The Apache repo on Github is read-only, so we'll still need a patch file for any changes rather than a pull request.  But github is pretty cool for being able to say "how does this look?" while hacking on stuff.  Pretty great tool in that regard.

-David

Re: Remote access through network

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 3, 2011, at 12:27 PM, Andre Brito wrote:

> David Blevins-2 wrote:
>> On the broken examples front maybe you can help us convert a few to
>> markdown.
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/openejb3/examples
>>  http://openejb.apache.org/examples.html
>>
>> So far only the 'simple-stateless' example has a README.md file.  We will
>> eventually need a README.md for all the examples.  There are 46 examples
>> and we've only ever managed to document 13 of them, so clearly we need to
>> lower the bar and get some sort of really minimal skeleton README.md in
>> there for every example and worry about adding more detail later.
>>
>> We could do a divide and conquer on that.  You could create the bare
>> README.md with just the headers and some code snippets, maybe some text if
>> you can think of any, then I can go through and try and add some details.
>> With 46 examples it will still take a while even with two people.
>>
>> Interested?
> I'll check that out later and then I can give you a response. What do you
> use to right and preview the Markdown? I found
> http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus this  web site. Is it
> valid?

That looks pretty good.  Also stackoverflow.com has a live preview of markdown while you edit.

Github also supports Markdown and there is a read-only copy of the OpenEJB code you could fork and issue pull requests.

  https://github.com/apache/openejb/tree/trunk/openejb3/examples/simple-stateless  (hit refresh twice to load up the READEME.md)

I just installed this Intellij plugin and like it:  http://plugins.intellij.net/plugin/?idea&id=5970

Looks like there are a few Eclipse plugins that do the same.

-David

Re: Remote access through network

Posted by Andre Brito <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 3, 2011, at 5:22 AM, Andre Brito wrote:

> Lots of features coming. That's very cool. In Brazil, I believe that lots of
> companies choose tecnology based on the feedback and support from the web.
> If you type "JBoss SAR" in Google, hundreads of pages will come up. So they
> tend to choose something like that.
>
> I strongly believe the only reason why OpenEJB is not 'famous' it's because
> it's not very widespread (don't know if I put the right words here). And
> honestly, I believe that there's not much you guys can do, except keep up
> with the great work you are all doing.

Every little blog post, tweet and retweet helps too. :)  Takes a lot of people to create buzz.

> David Blevins-2 wrote:
>> You should join the project :)  We're growing but we still need more
>> contributors. A complete overhaul of the website, a new app server
>> (TomEE)... it's a lot of work :)
> Yeah, I think about that very often and seriously. Specially when it comes
> down to write code to OpenEJB e TomEE. But I'm not able to do that (at least
> not right now). The project is in a very advanced stage for me (not just the
> code, but the spec, the requirements, the build... stuff like that. It's not
> just coding, debugging and testing, you have to know what and why you are
> doing that). But I must say that I'm very interested in doing that. Maybe in
> a near future :)

That's not the hard part.  The hard part is time.  If you have any time to contribute, there's always something that needs doing that isn't fancy but still really important.

Anyone with any time at all to contribute is so incredibly welcome.  Skill level is not important.  We all just do what we can.

On the broken examples front maybe you can help us convert a few to markdown.

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/openejb3/examples
  http://openejb.apache.org/examples.html

So far only the 'simple-stateless' example has a README.md file.  We will eventually need a README.md for all the examples.  There are 46 examples and we've only ever managed to document 13 of them, so clearly we need to lower the bar and get some sort of really minimal skeleton README.md in there for every example and worry about adding more detail later.

We could do a divide and conquer on that.  You could create the bare README.md with just the headers and some code snippets, maybe some text if you can think of any, then I can go through and try and add some details.  With 46 examples it will still take a while even with two people.

Interested?

> I couldn't find the link to download eclipse-plugin. Can you guys help me?

Looks like we're missing that.  Here's the blog post:

  https://blogs.apache.org/openejb/entry/openejb_eclipse_plugin_alpha_release

One more sign that there's more work than people :)

-David

Re: Remote access through network

Posted by Andre Brito <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 2, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Andre Brito wrote:

> BTW, I was reading the home and found this:
>
> Apache OpenEJB is an embeddable and lightweight EJB 3.0 implementation that
> can
> So OpenEJB doesn't support EJB 3.1? Strange, I thought it did.

The existing releases support @LocalBean view, @ManagedBean and @Singletons and of course the OpenEJB versions of what became spec features: Embedded EJB Container, Collapsed EAR.

The coming 3.2 release supports that plus JPA 2.0 and some Bean Validation.

The trunk code (4.0) supports CDI, @Schedule, @Asynchronous, global JNDI and the spec version of the Embedded EJBContainer API and EJBs in WARs.  And of course TomEE which we are in the process of Java EE 6 Web Profile certifying.  It also supports a new concept called Metatyping -- even more generic than CDI Stereotypes.

Everything is in feature complete beta state except CDI.  Been working on that quite heavily this last few weeks and likely the rest of this month.  It's about half way there at the moment.

Posted by Andre Brito <an...@gmail.com>.
David,

I think that'll be great. Specially for new users to try OpenEJB. Hope you
guys do that fast, because OpenEJB is achieving fans every day.

Regards,
Andre.

Re: Remote access through network

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 1, 2011, at 5:42 AM, Andre Brito wrote:

> I'm not sure I can give you any advice, since I don't have much experience in
> developing websites. I usually go to the site index and "Ctrl-F-it" what I'm
> trying to find. Not the best way, but I got used to it.
>
> BTW, there's a bug in a few pages.
> Look at this one:
> http://openejb.apache.org/3.0/testing-transactions-example.html
>
> I'm using Windows Seven with Firefox 4, and right above the "The Code"
> session, there's an exception:
>

>> Error formatting macro: snippet: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException:
>> Index: 20, Size: 20
>>

> I saw this in another session, but I can't remember where.
>
> I know you guys try your best to provide the best documentation and
> everything, but sometimes I find a little bit difficult to find things.
> Don't know why. Maybe it's just me.

Yeah, it's really hard.  We now have 46 examples in trunk and only about 13 are on the website and of the 13 most are broken as you point out.

There are a few threads on the dev list now about how to fix that.  Apache developed a CMS that is based on simple Markdown files checked into each projects SVN (stackoveflow and github both use Markdown).  It was just finished at the beginning of the year.  The main www.apache.org site uses it as do a handful of projects.  We'll likely be switching to that and moving away from Confluence.

I think it's going to have a big impact as we'll be able to edit the documentation while we edit the code (they'll be side by side in svn).  Branching and versioning documentation will be way easier.  As well we'll be able to more easily generate content with simple scripts (in any language) rather than having to write Confluence plugins.

This isn't online yet, but here's an example of what we'll be able to do:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/openejb3/examples/simple-stateless/README.md

Really looking forward to it.

-David