Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org> on 2018/05/17 04:12:23 UTC

Re: External access with Apache Guacamole in the cloud

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 8:53 PM, Gustavo Silva
<gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hello, my name is Gustavo. I'm from Brazil. I'm doing a technical course
> and my course completion work will tell about the Apache Guacamole.
>
> I'm using the MySQL database with Guacamole. After some settings on my
> router, I can access the service from anywhere and access my machines from
> my local network.
>
> But I would like to know if it would be possible to access a machine that is
> elsewhere, such as at a friend's house, for example, with Apache Guacamole
> hosted in the cloud, that is, without having to run it on the same client
> network.
>
> Thank you for your attention, I await your response.

All that matters as far as Guacamole is concerned is that there exists
a network route between guacd and the remote desktop(s) in question.
As long as such a route exists, you will be able to access those
remote desktops from anywhere that you can access your Guacamole
deployment. Ideally, you will isolate that route such that the only
means of accessing that remote desktop is through Guacamole, and
Guacamole thus becomes both a convenience and a security layer.

If your Guacamole server and the remote desktop are not on the same
network, you will need to bring the remote desktop onto the Guacamole
server's internal network through other means, such as a VPN.

- Mike