Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Curry <mi...@tcsi.com> on 2000/08/10 03:18:18 UTC

Re: JSP compilation error: missing resource: java.util.PropertyResourceBundle

I just hit this problem myself for the first time today. Here is an
explanation.

Tomcat encountered a problem trying to compile your JSP page, and is
trying to report the error, but is failing to find its OWN resource
bundle "org.apache.jasper.resources.messages".  I have no idea *why*
it can't find it (I had no problem :) ), but the upshot is that it
craps out rather than displaying a nice message.

Now, what problem is it trying to report?  If the problem is coming
from apache.jasper.compiler.BeanGenerator.checkSyntax() (as it was in
both your case and mine), there are 6 possibilities:

useBean: id attribute missing or misspelled
useBean: Either class or type attribute must be specified
useBean: Duplicate bean name
useBean: Can't use as session bean since it is prohibited by jsp
         directive defined earlier
useBean: Can't specify both class and beanName attribute
useBean: Invalid scope in useBean

You'll have to inspect your JSP source to determine which of these
problems applies to your situation.

Hope this helps,

mikec