Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <CO...@PROCESS.COM> on 1997/11/25 10:52:00 UTC

Configuration in kits

    PR#1468 reminds me of something I want to bring up for disucssion:
    the presence of Configuration in kits.

    Step 6 in how-to-release says:

     6. Create src/Configuration file:
          $ cp src/Configuration.tmpl src/Configuration

    I would like to see this changed as follows:

    o For a source-only kit, I think this step should be omitted
      entirely.  src/INSTALL instructs the user to do this and then edit
      Configuration, so it seems semi-pointless for us to do it.
    o For a binary kit (containing an httpd executable built for a
      specific platform), I think the src/Configuration file should be
      the one that was used to build the binary - in other words, the
      user should be able to just "make clean; make" and get a binary
      just like the one supplied.

    I think the latter is particularly important given that different
    people build binaries for the various platforms with differing
    module lists enabled.

    #ken    P-)}

Re: Configuration in kits

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     PR#1468 reminds me of something I want to bring up for disucssion:
>     the presence of Configuration in kits.
>
>     Step 6 in how-to-release says:
>
>      6. Create src/Configuration file:
>           $ cp src/Configuration.tmpl src/Configuration
>
>     I would like to see this changed as follows:
>
>     o For a source-only kit, I think this step should be omitted
>       entirely.  src/INSTALL instructs the user to do this and then edit
>       Configuration, so it seems semi-pointless for us to do it.

Erm... no it isn't.  How many zillion reports do you think we will have
saying "but Configure won't run!" if we start doing that?

>     o For a binary kit (containing an httpd executable built for a
>       specific platform), I think the src/Configuration file should be
>       the one that was used to build the binary - in other words, the
>       user should be able to just "make clean; make" and get a binary
>       just like the one supplied.

That has normally been done anyway and is in the instructions for binary
releases.