Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/21 11:58:11 UTC

Do all releases need to go to /dist?

Hello fellows,

with Onami we are currently working to release a parent pom (only).
Its just related to maven and so our idea was to spread it via
repository.a.o only.

Now reading this:

"All releases must be archived on http://archive.apache.org/dist/.

An automated process adds releases to the archive about a day after
they first appear on to http://www.apache.org/dist/. Once a release is
placed underhttp://www.apache.org/dist/ it will automatically be
copied over to http://archive.apache.org/dist/ and held there
permanently, even after it is deleted from
http://www.apache.org/dist/."
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#mirroring

it seems we need to push it to /dist, even when its Maven only. Is
that correct? I am asking because I could not find the Apache parent
pom there (maybe I missed it) and it let me hope that we do not need
to commit it to /dist.

Thanks
Christian

Re: Do all releases need to go to /dist?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Given how the discussion on other closed lists is proceeding, as chair
of this committee, I feel compelled to contribute the following:

The current stated policy of the Foundation is that releases go onto
/dist. If you are using Maven tooling to make your releases, you
should first of all be sure to produce real, buildable, releases using
the profiles in the ASF POM, and secondly, you should copy those zip
files to /dist after a vote passes.

If this policy changes, I'll be quite sure to make this list aware of
it, if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

In short, I misjudged the historical context of this particular issue.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Nobody should **EVER** revert another's commit.

That is a truly horrible suggestion. The original committer should
revise/revert. Nobody else.

-g

(sorry; tablet; abbreviated)

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Marcel Offermans
<ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2012, at 13:52 , Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Martijn Dashorst
>> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>
>> While I agree that the page has a lot to say about putting releases on
>> /dist, I could not find any point in which it said, in so many words,
>> that /dist was required. I do, however, see how people would take that
>> implication.
>
> It does state that all releases must be archived on http://archive.apache.org/dist/ so I think that more or less implies that all releases must be put on /dist.
>
> I just feel that as soon as we start making exceptions, we will end up with many, and I really don't understand why this exception is necessary in the first place. In fact, I think it's a great benefit that all releases can be found in one single location, no exceptions.
>
>> So, I edited it to say the opposite for this case. I'm not pushing the
>> publish button; rather, I've started a thread on infra@ (which seems
>> to supervise this content) inviting people to tell me that I am wrong.
>> If I am still wearing my head tonight on the subject, I'll push the
>> publish button.
>
> I objected there as well, to me this is a big policy change, and one that I don't understand the reason of.

I think one thread of debate on this is enough, so I won't reply further here.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> You ought to leave it for 72 hours, a half day is not enough time for infra
> to respond.

Ross is completely right. Stay tuned, the discussion on whether I'm
right or not has already begun, and quite aside from his good counsel
of caution, could well go on for some time.

In the mean time, it can't hurt to copy that bundle from Onami to
/dist if you all want to get on with your lives.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Re: Do all releases need to go to /dist?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.