Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2006/04/14 21:47:36 UTC

[web] site structure updated

I checked in a change to the web site that partially addresses issues
that Dan Debrunner and Michelle Caisse raised. You'll need to refresh
pages in your browser to see these changes.

Here's a summary of the basic changes:

(1) The "Quick Links" subcategory on the home tab should autoexpand but
can't.

A forrest feature (FOR-339) will support this but isn't implemented yet.
The resolution is to not have a Quick Links subcategory on the home tab,
just a simple list.

(2) A "Quick Start" entry on the home tab and its own tab is disconcerting.

I agree and the resolution is to remove the link from the home tab -- it
isn't needed because the home page also links to it.

(3) Links on the home tab that are repeated on other tabs (for example,
a license link was on the Download tab and an FAQs link was on the
Community tab) cause a jump back to the home tab when the page is selected.

I agree this behavior is jarring, but don't see a way to avoid it. The
best near-term solution is to not repeat links across tabs and to choose
carefully where those links should appear. I think "license" and "FAQs"
both need increased visibility, so left them on the home tab. I also
left "Derby Wiki" on the home tab because the Community tab has quite a
few items.

(4) Offsite links should open in a new window.
I haven't figured out a way to do that in the forrest menu, but am able
to in the body of a page; for example, the document links on
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html open in a new window.

The best resolution for now is to remove those links, but for another
reason as well: keep the number of items on the home tab few enough that
people will notice what's there.

Michelle also noted that on the download tab if you click on 10.1.2.1,
the forrest menu collapses instead of highlighting 10.1.2.1. I haven't
figured this one out yet, but suspect it has something to do with the
file type (cgi).

I should mention that some of the things I haven't figured out how to do
might in fact be possible in forrest, but I just haven't found the right
information yet.

Thanks for all the feedback -- and please keep it coming.

regards,

 -jean

Re: [web] site structure updated

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Michelle Caisse wrote:
>
>>Hi Jean,
>>
>>I like the changes.  I think the site is easier to grok now.
>>
>>I noticed another thing about the Download tab and the 10.1.2.1 link.
>>If after clicking the link you then expand the list again, License
>>appears in the navbar.  The License link is not there otherwise.  You
>>get the same issues if you click the 10.1.2.1 or 10.1.1.0 links from the
>>text of the page, so it has something to do with the cgi script serving
>>these pages.
> Those two pages get generated in a special way .... and I didn't
> generate them correctly -- I'm untangling and it should be fixed soon.

ok, the navbar for those two pages should be correct now -- though the
menu still collapses. As I mentioned before, I still need to figure out
that collapsing behavior.

thanks,

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Michelle Caisse wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> I like the changes.  I think the site is easier to grok now.
>
> I noticed another thing about the Download tab and the 10.1.2.1 link.
> If after clicking the link you then expand the list again, License
> appears in the navbar.  The License link is not there otherwise.  You
> get the same issues if you click the 10.1.2.1 or 10.1.1.0 links from the
> text of the page, so it has something to do with the cgi script serving
> these pages.

Hi, Michelle,

Those two pages get generated in a special way .... and I didn't
generate them correctly -- I'm untangling and it should be fixed soon.

thanks for the feedback,

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jean,

I like the changes.  I think the site is easier to grok now.

I noticed another thing about the Download tab and the 10.1.2.1 link.
If after clicking the link you then expand the list again, License
appears in the navbar.  The License link is not there otherwise.  You
get the same issues if you click the 10.1.2.1 or 10.1.1.0 links from the
text of the page, so it has something to do with the cgi script serving
these pages.

Thanks for the improvements.

-- Michelle