Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org> on 2006/07/07 22:47:00 UTC

Re: OSGi overview (was Re: Geronimo/Equinox integration status?)

Hi Jacek,

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 10:22:34PM +0200, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Would you point out another short introductory material about it or
> just suggest I'll simply take a look at the spec to get the gist of
> it?

The spec is big, too big for my bleary eyes to read on-screen, and yet
I feel guilty printing it out.  I'd start at this web page [1], and
then if you're still curious try this 17pp whitepaper [2], only then
the full spec.

Looking at it from a different persective, there's a brief tutorial
showing how to write a simple bundle [3], provided by the Oscar OSGi
folks.  Part of it uses their "Gravity" framework and as such isn't
strictly OSGi, but it looks as if they've left that part 'till the
end.

Toby

[1] http://osgi.org/osgi_technology/index.asp?section=2
[2] http://osgi.org/documents/osgi_technology/osgi-sp-overview.pdf