Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/01 08:59:57 UTC

Re: Why does my multiproject build revert to taking SNAPSHOT versions of dependencies when I want a specified version?

> Why does it all of a sudden switch from the version I want (R2_5_653H1) to
> SNAPSHOT here?

Bugs have been filed in Jira against various Maven2 versions involving
the dotted notation of properties. Specifically, it seems like
anything before the final dot is sometimes ignored, so
this.is.a.property.version is evaluated as simply version which is
usually project.version.

I'd replace your dots with underlines and see if you have different
results. I moved away from dots entirely the first time this bug hit
me a while back. I can't give you a specific Jira to look at/follow
but I'm sure you could find it/one of them (I feel like there are a
couple).

Wayne

Re: Why does my multiproject build revert to taking SNAPSHOT versions of dependencies when I want a specified version?

Posted by Christopher Patti <cp...@broad.mit.edu>.
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Christopher Patti <cp...@broad.mit.edu>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Why does it all of a sudden switch from the version I want (R2_5_653H1)
>> > SNAPSHOT here?
>>
>> Bugs have been filed in Jira against various Maven2 versions involving
>> the dotted notation of properties. Specifically, it seems like
>> anything before the final dot is sometimes ignored, so
>> this.is.a.property.version is evaluated as simply version which is
>> usually project.version.
>>
>> I'd replace your dots with underlines and see if you have different
>> results. I moved away from dots entirely the first time this bug hit
>> me a while back. I can't give you a specific Jira to look at/follow
>> but I'm sure you could find it/one of them (I feel like there are a
>> couple).
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Thanks, this is a good point and might also help explain some other
> problems we've had.
>
> This will very likely cause my novice Maven 2 skills to show, but I can't
> just change:
> ---
>         <dependency>
>                 <groupId>Squid</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>dbawrappers</artifactId>
>                 <version>${build.version}</version>
>         </dependency>
> ---
> to:
> ---
>         <dependency>
>                 <groupId>Squid</groupId>
>                 <artifactId>dbawrappers</artifactId>
>                 <version>${build_version}</version>
>         </dependency>
> ---
>
> Can I? Won't that break the desired "If no version is specified, use
> SNAPSHOT' behavior I'm trying to override for versioned builds?
>
> Thanks,
> -Chris

Aha! If I use use ${version} that seems to fix the problem! Thanks so much!
-Chris

--
Christopher Patti - Release Engineer - E-Mail: cpatti@broad.mit.edu
Y! feoh AIM: chrisfeohpatti GTalk/Jabber: cpatti@gmail.com

Re: Why does my multiproject build revert to taking SNAPSHOT versions of dependencies when I want a specified version?

Posted by Christopher Patti <cp...@broad.mit.edu>.