Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Mike Wallace <th...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/21 00:48:04 UTC

CalendarDeserializer and empty dates

The XML message we're attempting to deserialize has
the following elements in it:
<assignedDate xsi:type="xsd:dateTime" />
<createdDate
xsi:type="xsd:dateTime">2006-07-19T18:23:46.327Z</createdDate>

The createDate element has no problems, but
assignedDate, which has no data, fails with the
following:

java.lang.NumberFormatException: Invalid date/time

Is this a known limitation of the Calendar deserializer?

Re: CalendarDeserializer and empty dates

Posted by Jeff Greif <je...@gmail.com>.
The empty string is not a valid xsd:dateTime.

To make this a valid response from your service, you would have to
specify in the schema that assignedDate was nillable and in the
respponse, <assignedDate xsi:nil="true" ...> .  I don't know whether the
Calendar serializer would have to be able to handle it then -- probably not.

Another possibility is to make the assignedDate element optional in the
schema (minOccurs="0") and omit in the response when it has no value.

Jeff