Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/03/21 16:02:53 UTC

What is our current best recommendation for 3.4.1 random crashes?

Users report that they install 3.4.1and it crashes quickly after
starting.  Reinstall doesn't help.  Currently we point users to a
forum post explaining how to rename or remove the profile.  This
beyond the skill level of most users.

Is that the best we have now for a recommendation?  I thought Oliver
found out that this was related to update checks.  Does disabling
auto-updates work as a fix?

-Rob
-

Re: What is our current best recommendation for 3.4.1 random crashes?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/3/21 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>
>
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Users report that they install 3.4.1and it crashes quickly after
>> > starting.  Reinstall doesn't help.  Currently we point users to a
>> > forum post explaining how to rename or remove the profile.  This
>> > beyond the skill level of most users.
>> >

>> oh gee! Well maybe we should have a look at these posts and improve them,
>> put them somewhere else -- on the wiki? I wouldn't think removing a profile
>> file would beyond the skill level of most users.
>>

> It depends: the profile is in a hidden folder and most users are afraid of
> changing system settings. In fact, on mac systems hidden folders are really
> hidden, and a non experienced user will not know how to open them without a
> lot of google search.
>
> A possibility is to add a small app to AOO package that can be launched
> independently of AOO, check if AOO is running and close it to then rename
> the profile (AFAIK, firefox have something like that)... but of course,
> someone needs to build that app.

I actually started making a simple Windows app for doing this.  But I
can't figure out how to reliably find the profile across all Windows
versions, and deployment options.  It would have been easy if we did
something sane like put a registry entry in HKCU or HKLM pointing to
the profile, but we don't seem to do that.

Windows does have some pre-defined ID's for common locations, but I
don't know which one we use when installing, and whether we vary the
logic depending on the version of Windows:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378457%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/3/21 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>
>
> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Users report that they install 3.4.1and it crashes quickly after
> > > starting.  Reinstall doesn't help.  Currently we point users to a
> > > forum post explaining how to rename or remove the profile.  This
> > > beyond the skill level of most users.
> > >

> > oh gee! Well maybe we should have a look at these posts and improve them,
> > put them somewhere else -- on the wiki? I wouldn't think removing a
> profile
> > file would beyond the skill level of most users.
> >

> It depends: the profile is in a hidden folder and most users are afraid of
> changing system settings. In fact, on mac systems hidden folders are really
> hidden, and a non experienced user will not know how to open them without a
> lot of google search.

oh...well I understand the problem a bit better now. No, not simple...

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 21/03/2013 17:58, Rob Weir a écrit :
> But I think of it this way -- If AOO is crashing repeatedly for the
> user then they are unlikely to continue using the product.  So if
> disabling the update notifications fixes their problem, then it is a
> good thing.

Sometimes it is not enough and in addition to that, you have to rename the files pointed out by Oliver (process explained in the forum). But this is not that frequent.

Even under Windows, some users have great difficulties finding the profile and this is rather frequent.

Hagar

Re: What is our current best recommendation for 3.4.1 random crashes?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Users report that they install 3.4.1and it crashes quickly after
>> starting.  Reinstall doesn't help.  Currently we point users to a
>> forum post explaining how to rename or remove the profile.  This
>> beyond the skill level of most users.
>>

> oh gee! Well maybe we should have a look at these posts and improve them,
> put them somewhere else -- on the wiki? I wouldn't think removing a profile
> file would beyond the skill level of most users.

As RGB mentioned, it is the need to access hidden folders in strange
directories.  We have 75 year old pensioners with only basic computer
skills running into these problems.  We need something really simple.

>> Is that the best we have now for a recommendation?  I thought Oliver
>> found out that this was related to update checks.  Does disabling
>> auto-updates work as a fix?
>>

> Well it might, I would think, but is this desirable?

If it stops the crashes, then I think that is a good solution.  Maybe
we mention also that this disables automatic update notifications and
ask them to since up for the announcement list at the same time.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by AOO Volunteer <el...@mail-page.com>.
The cause is the hosting OS and not the application.
M$ way to deter people from using OpenOffice...