Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Golubenko <go...@columbiafunds.com> on 2001/02/12 17:48:56 UTC

RE: *** Generated Tomcat Temporary Class File Name Seem TooLong. .. Yes ***

Don't worry, I've read it. Here is the copy for you, if you didn't.
There is clearly written that you can modify the source code, and
redistribute or use it. Just like I said in previus email, that it's
legal to modify the source code, (file name generation) and compile it back.
While it's still true, i don't know what are you trying to prove. And
who said that I'm not commercial developer? Sorry, you wrong.

/*
 * $Header: /home/cvs/jakarta-tomcat/LICENSE,v 1.1.1.1 1999/10/09 00:19:57
duncan Exp $
 * $Revision: 1.1.1.1 $
 * $Date: 1999/10/09 00:19:57 $
 *
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
 *
 * Copyright (c) 1999 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * reserved.
 *
 * are met:
 *
 *
 *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
 *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
 *    distribution.
 *
 * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if
 *    any, must include the following acknowlegement:
 *       "This product includes software developed by the
 *        Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)."
 *    Alternately, this acknowlegement may appear in the software itself,
 *    if and wherever such third-party acknowlegements normally appear.
 *
 * 4. The names "The Jakarta Project", "Tomcat", and "Apache Software
 *    Foundation" must not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 *    from this software without prior written permission. For written
 *    permission, please contact apache@apache.org.
 *
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache"
 *    nor may "Apache" appear in their names without prior written
 *    permission of the Apache Group.
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
 * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
 * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE APACHE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION OR
 * ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
 * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
 * LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
 * USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
 * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
 * OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
 * OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation.  For more
 * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
 * <http://www.apache.org/>.
 *
 */

Posted by Alex Fernández <af...@tid.es>.
John, don't get jumpy. This is not one of your flame wars.

GNU's Not Unix. Apache's not GNU. The Apache Group is not GNU. And the GPL (Gnu Public License) is not the Apache License.

I was just trying to educate you: not all free software is GNU. There are several public licenses available around, and the Apache License is one of the less restrictive ones -- while the GPL explicitly prohibits several uses. I don't have anything against the GPL, and in fact like the FSF and their work; but Tomcat belongs to the Apache Group.

Cheers,

Alex.