Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz> on 2006/08/21 01:23:19 UTC

Is there a new spambot army on the march?

We are getting HAMMERED with a dictionary attack that is on a scale we
have never experienced before.

We have recipient verification on our edge servers, so basically it's
all just bouncing off us, but it has been impacting us as we've already
had to up the maximum number of simultaneous SMTP connections 4-fold to
handle the increased load.

I'm starting to track the IPs, and so far after 30 minutes have found
over 5000 separate IPs - so this Spambot army is pretty big.

Is it only us, or are others seeing it too?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

Re: Is there a new spambot army on the march?

Posted by Gino Cerullo <gc...@pixelpointstudios.com>.
Yeah, I've been getting hammered by these too. I've configured
Postfix to do HELO checks and the vast majority (95%) are failing at
the MTA.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive
Toronto, ON  M3M 1W6

T: 416-247-7740
F: 416-247-7503

Re: Is there a new spambot army on the march?

Posted by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>.
jdow wrote:

>> We're getting around 60/sec for over 24 hours now :-(
>>
>> It ain't getting in, but the logs are filling my disk ;-)
>
> 5 MILLION a day! Who hates Trimble Navigation THAT much? (IMAO they're
> fairly good guys. I used to do GPS related work - satellite and ground.)
I guess that's my point. I was wondering if this was within the "normal"
range of dictionary attacks. I've been tracking (in realtime) the IPs
sending to non-existent addresses for the past 2 hours, and we are now
over 10K separate IP addresses. Sounds like those MS06-040 trojans
release last week found their mark :-(

Running the addresses through GeoIP shows they are all over the world. I
guess we just weather the storm :-/

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 8/20/2006 8:37 PM, jdow wrote:
> From: "Jason Haar" <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>

>> We're getting around 60/sec for over 24 hours now :-(
>>
>> It ain't getting in, but the logs are filling my disk ;-)
>

> 5 MILLION a day! Who hates Trimble Navigation THAT much? (IMAO they're
> fairly good guys. I used to do GPS related work - satellite and ground.)

If it was Garmin, I'd say it's just a user trying to get tech support.

Have fun Jason! :)

Daryl

Re: Is there a new spambot army on the march?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Jason Haar" <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>

> Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:23:19AM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
>>
>>> We are getting HAMMERED with a dictionary attack that is on a scale we
>>> have never experienced before.
>>>

>> Yeah.  I had >260k "user unknown" entries per day last week (that's
>> over 3 per second for a whole day straight).  The weekends are always lighter,
>> with only 110k so far today -- around 8800 different IPs so far.
>>

> We're getting around 60/sec for over 24 hours now :-(
>
> It ain't getting in, but the logs are filling my disk ;-)

5 MILLION a day! Who hates Trimble Navigation THAT much? (IMAO they're
fairly good guys. I used to do GPS related work - satellite and ground.)

{^_-}   Joanne

Re: Is there a new spambot army on the march?

Posted by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:23:19AM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> We are getting HAMMERED with a dictionary attack that is on a scale we
> have never experienced before.

Yeah.  I had >260k "user unknown" entries per day last week (that's
over 3 per second for a whole day straight).  The weekends are always lighter,
with only 110k so far today -- around 8800 different IPs so far.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"But you have to allow a little for the desire to evangelize when you

Re: Is there a new spambot army on the march?

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.
On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:49:54AM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> The Doctor wrote:
> >
> > I may have a server side solution using spamikaze but first
> > what is the SMTP server software taht you are using?
> >
> We're using Qmail with assorted patches - like the recipient checking
> one. I think the only solution that would improve our situation would be
> getting these (6.5K now) IPs into the RBLs - or into our tcpserver ACL
> list.
>
> (I'm not really looking for a solution - more just wondering if anyone
> else was seeing the same thing.)

Who knows?? I know I am using spamikaze to turf the beggars.

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca	Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca

believed to be clean.

Re: Is there a new spambot army on the march?

Posted by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz>.

Posted by The Doctor <do...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>.