Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/05/17 18:43:43 UTC

Lifecycle docs missing an interface:

I was getting ready to write the portion of my paper covering the LifeCycle
of a Component with all interfaces involved.  The problem is that one event
is not recorded, and I can't remember how we decided to do it:

setLogger();

The docs state:

1. Constructor
2. contextualize
3. compose

I remember that setLogger() was next to contextualize()--but was it before
or after?

Honestly, I prefer that setLogger() be the very first event in the entire
chain.  Sometimes I want to send debug messages to ensure that my Context
objects are indeed present--which is not possible until I get a Logger.

So can we document the Lifecycle to be:

1. Constructor
2. setLogger
3. contextualize

??

I think this makes the most sense.

RE: Lifecycle docs missing an interface:

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
> I was getting ready to write the portion of my paper covering the
> LifeCycle
> of a Component with all interfaces involved.  The problem is that
> one event
> is not recorded, and I can't remember how we decided to do it:
>
> setLogger();
>
> The docs state:
>
> 1. Constructor
> 2. contextualize
> 3. compose
>
> I remember that setLogger() was next to contextualize()--but was it before
> or after?

before.

Logic behind that: otherwise, it is not possible to log errors during
contextualize().

cheers!

LSD

Re: Lifecycle docs missing an interface:

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 12:43  17/5/01 -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>I was getting ready to write the portion of my paper covering the LifeCycle
>of a Component with all interfaces involved.  The problem is that one event
>is not recorded, and I can't remember how we decided to do it:
>
>setLogger();
>
>The docs state:
>
>1. Constructor
>2. contextualize
>3. compose
>
>I remember that setLogger() was next to contextualize()--but was it before
>or after?
>
>Honestly, I prefer that setLogger() be the very first event in the entire
>chain.  Sometimes I want to send debug messages to ensure that my Context
>objects are indeed present--which is not possible until I get a Logger.
>
>So can we document the Lifecycle to be:
>
>1. Constructor
>2. setLogger
>3. contextualize