Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by gerard uolaquetalestem <vi...@mixmail.com> on 2004/01/23 11:00:57 UTC

Controlling bandwidth with mp2

Hi again, i have been looking for modules who control bandwith in apache2, but i've seen
most of them are not actuallized to apache v2.
After spending little time, i've wondered if there is any way to write a module in
mod_perl 2 to control that bandwidth.
I don't know where to begin with, i'm asking then for any help here, and to know if it is
possible or not.

Resuming, i'm not asking how to do it, just asking if it can be done and maybe some
modules to begin to look into.

Read in mail-lists:
"The apache module,
mod_throttle, worked well, but increased CPU load to unusable levels for my
employer. We dropped both of them shortly after that."

Other question, would be possible to include in text that appears below the mail to perl
list? I have always to open a mail to remember the adress, because a lot of times ansering
just points to stas mail.
(it's just a suggestion, nothing more:)

Re: Controlling bandwidth with mp2

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
gerard uolaquetalestem wrote:
> Hi again, i have been looking for modules who control bandwith in apache2, but i've seen
> most of them are not actuallized to apache v2.
> After spending little time, i've wondered if there is any way to write a module in
> mod_perl 2 to control that bandwidth.
> I don't know where to begin with, i'm asking then for any help here, and to know if it is
> possible or not.
>
> Resuming, i'm not asking how to do it, just asking if it can be done and maybe some
> modules to begin to look into.
>
> Read in mail-lists:
> "The apache module,
> mod_throttle, worked well, but increased CPU load to unusable levels for my
> employer. We dropped both of them shortly after that."

Your best option, IMHO, is to port to mp2 one of the existing mp1 modules. The
archives and search.cpan.org will help you to find them. There is also:
http://perl.apache.org/products/old-modules-categorized.html
that's quite out of date, but may be still useful.

> Other question, would be possible to include in text that appears below the mail to perl
> list? I have always to open a mail to remember the adress, because a lot of times ansering
> just points to stas mail.

This is out of question, because we try hard to prevent extra spam to the
modperl list (which is moderated, therefore making the work of moderators
harder), and therefore we try not to mention the posting address anywhere on
perl.apache.org or even in our conversations. Most archival engines hide the
list address, so they aren't available to spam scanners.

it's also a good practice to ask separate (especially unrelated) questions in
separate emails, both because it makes the thread confusing, and because most
people not interested in the subject of your post won't even see your other
questions.

RE: Controlling bandwidth with mp2

Posted by Egor Shipovalov <mo...@eonline.ru>.
Ged,

mod_throttle hasn't been ported to Apache2, last I checked. If I were you, I
would research some other means of controlling bandwidth, like Squid delay
pools (in http accelerator mode). Modern Linux kernels should also have
bandwidth-controlling features in their firewalls.

Best regards,
Egor Shipovalov.

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hello there,