Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2001/07/26 03:56:36 UTC

showstoppers?

Hey guys...

   How are we doing on those 2.0.22 showstoppers?  I kind of lost track of
which of the hundred things that came up today were showstopper fixes and
which of those actually got committed.  =-)

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: showstoppers?

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Greg Ames wrote:

> My point is that this stuff seems to be rarely used outside of Apache,
> is in flux, and is a pain to folks who don't use it.  Should we disable
> mod_auth_dbm at autoconf time if the headers are missing?

+1.  It's bitten me as well.  As has mod_auth_digest when there's no good
source of randomness on the system (that was on Solaris 2.6 IIRC).

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: showstoppers?

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@remulak.net>.
jean-frederic clere wrote:

> Cliff Woolley wrote:
> >
> > Hey guys...
> >
> >    How are we doing on those 2.0.22 showstoppers?

> I have done:
> ./configure --prefix=/home/apache20/apache20 \
>         --enable-mods-shared=all

> It also activates modules like auth_dbm even if no database support (compile
> errors).

mod_auth_dbm has bitten me twice recently, with compiler errors.  If you
Google on the errors involving ndbm.h, you will see that Apache is
usually involved.  I think that this module is a PITA, and is causing
our users more headaches than it should.

<rant>

I recently put Linux Mandrake 8.0 on my ThinkPad, tried to build Apache
2.0, and guess which module wouldn't compile?  (hint: see above)
Googled, found out which obscure *-devel rpm on the 2nd CD provided
ndbm.h this time around, installed the rpm, then the final link of httpd
had unresolved references for dbm_open, dbm_close, etc.  Couldn't figure
it out, disabled mod_auth_dbm, the build went fine.  Later Victor & Jeff
found that my libdb1.so had no exported symbols.  sheesh, what next?
Yeah, I know, this one sounds like a Mandrake packaging error.

</rant>

My point is that this stuff seems to be rarely used outside of Apache,
is in flux, and is a pain to folks who don't use it.  Should we disable
mod_auth_dbm at autoconf time if the headers are missing?

Greg

Re: showstoppers?

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Hey guys...
>
>    How are we doing on those 2.0.22 showstoppers?  I kind of lost track of
> which of the hundred things that came up today were showstopper fixes and
> which of those actually got committed.  =-)
>
> --Cliff

>    Cliff Woolley
>    cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
>    Charlottesville, VA

I have done:
./configure --prefix=/home/apache20/apache20 \
        --enable-mods-shared=all

And it shows problems with dav/fs and dav/main.
The work around I use is:
./configure --prefix=/home/apache20/apache20 \
        --enable-dav=shared \
        --enable-dav_fs=shared \
        --enable-mods-shared=all

It also activates modules like auth_dbm even if no database support (compile
errors).

Cheers

Jean-frederic

Re: showstoppers?

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> If you will wait till tommorow about noon, I'll apply Brian's fix for
> the inherit stuff and get rid of the last 15 (down from 72) compiler
> emits on Win32 :-)

+1

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: showstoppers?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
If you will wait till tommorow about noon, I'll apply Brian's fix for the inherit
stuff and get rid of the last 15 (down from 72) compiler emits on Win32 :-)

Bill