Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2013/02/25 09:26:45 UTC

Detecting wrong deps - deactivate SNAPSHOT repo locally?

Hi,

one main reason why it is hard to find wrong deps is because all our
SNAPSHOTs are available in the Apache SNAPSHOT repo. Even if I delete
everything from my local repo I am unable to detect certain POM
version problems because the SNAPSHOTs of old version are downloaded
from the repo even if not available in the build.

Building with -o (offline) is not an option since others deps to
released versions need to be resolved.

Anyone an idea how to deactivate the Apache SNAPSHOT repo locally? It
is defined in the apache parent POM.

One alternative: Do we really need to publish SNAPSHOTs? At least I
have no use for them. If I want SNAPSHOTs I build them myself. But
others may use them. WDYT?

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Detecting wrong deps - deactivate SNAPSHOT repo locally?

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi

based on [1] you can deactivate repositories in maven profiles

best
Rupert

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@wymiwyg.com>.
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Fabian Christ <christ.fabian@googlemail.com

> one main reason why it is hard to find wrong deps is because all our
> SNAPSHOTs are available in the Apache SNAPSHOT repo. Even if I delete
> everything from my local repo I am unable to detect certain POM
> version problems because the SNAPSHOTs of old version are downloaded
> from the repo even if not available in the build.
>
> Building with -o (offline) is not an option since others deps to
> released versions need to be resolved.
>
> Anyone an idea how to deactivate the Apache SNAPSHOT repo locally? It
> is defined in the apache parent POM.

A hack would be to set maven central as a proxy to the snapshot repo. But
Rupert's solution sounds much better.

> One alternative: Do we really need to publish SNAPSHOTs? At least I
> have no use for them. If I want SNAPSHOTs I build them myself. But
> others may use them. WDYT?

I think publishing snapshot is important to allow fast development together
with other projects. If another project depends on a stanbol module, finds
a bug and has it fixed its very tedious to have to wait till the modules
are released before the code that relies on the fix can be committed
(usually one cannot expect all other developers (an jenkins) to check out
and compile dependencies locally).

Reto