Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Terry Paddy <te...@rostersetc.com> on 2000/02/24 21:07:56 UTC

Installing Cocoon 1.7

Hello,

Thanks for v1.7, *great*. But it's time I learnt more about the installation
instead of the trial and error method I've been using to date.

I downloaded Cocoon-1.7.zip and installed (unzipped) it on my Win98 machine.
I read the new install instructions and noted that Xerces, Xalan, FOP are
all included.

I noticed 2 more files in /lib (I see I don't need to worry about ant.jar
and stylebook..jar as I'm not building the beast).
xml.jar  an xml parser
servlet_2_2.jar the servlet engine 2.2

OK, my development machine is a Linux 6.1/Apache1.3.9/JServe1.1 machine so I
copied the appropriate jar(s) to the server location and set
jserv.properties as follows

wrapper.classpath=/usr/lib/apache/libexec/ApacheJServ.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/JSDK2.0/lib/jsdk.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/HTML.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/mm.mysql.jdbc-2.0pre4/mysql_2_uncomp.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/lib/tools.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/Cocoon.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/fop_0_12_1.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/xalan_0_19_4.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/xerces_1_0_1.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/xml.jar
wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/servlet_2_2.jar

and rebooted.

1.	I would have thought that servlet_2_2.jar would conflict with jsdk.jar
and so I shouldn't load servlet_2_2.jar
2.	xml.jar (the parser) wasn't anywhere in cocoon-1.6, so why is that here
now? (What did I miss)

After loading the cocoon index.html page, if I select the "Cocoon Status
Page" I get a HTTP 404 error. I know Cocoon.xml is generated so that says
Cocoon is not working.

Selecting "Live Samples" gives
"Publishing Engine could not be initialized"
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating
org.apache.cocoon.producer.ProducerFromMap: class is not found
	at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java, Compiled Code)

Sorry for the basic questions, but I've gotta start somewhere ;-)
Once I've got it all running, I'm keen to write an "idiots guide to
installation" for 'technically challenged' people like me. I would like to
contribute somehow!

Thanks ..
Terry
Christchurch - New Zealand

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Ross Burton wrote:

> > > xml.jar (Sun ProjectX) is required by ant. We might remove that
> > > dependency in the future.
>
> Okay, doing this is easier than I thought.  If you want to remove the
> dependancy on xml.jar (aka Sun's ProjectX), do the following
>
> * edit jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/parser.properties to
> contain:
>     parser=org.apache.tools.ant.ApacheParser
>
> * delete jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/SunParser.java if you
> want to remove xml.jar totally (if it remains there will be a compilation
> error as xml.jar is not present)
>
> * edit jakarta-ant/bootstrap.[bat|sh] so that the path to xerces.jar is
> mentioned instead of lib/xml.jar
>
> * run bootstrap.[bat|sh] and hope it works!
>
> Would it be possible to commit the required changes to jakarta-ant so that
> it uses Xerces instead of ProjectX?

I proposed this on the Ant mail list. We'll see.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Ross Burton <bu...@dcs.kcl.ac.uk>.
> > xml.jar (Sun ProjectX) is required by ant. We might remove that
> > dependency in the future.

Okay, doing this is easier than I thought.  If you want to remove the
dependancy on xml.jar (aka Sun's ProjectX), do the following

* edit jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/parser.properties to
contain:
    parser=org.apache.tools.ant.ApacheParser

* delete jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/SunParser.java if you
want to remove xml.jar totally (if it remains there will be a compilation
error as xml.jar is not present)

* edit jakarta-ant/bootstrap.[bat|sh] so that the path to xerces.jar is
mentioned instead of lib/xml.jar

* run bootstrap.[bat|sh] and hope it works!

Would it be possible to commit the required changes to jakarta-ant so that
it uses Xerces instead of ProjectX?

Ross Burton

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Ross Burton <bu...@dcs.kcl.ac.uk>.
> xml.jar (Sun ProjectX) is required by ant. We might remove that
> dependency in the future.

As Ant comes with ApacheParser, why doen't we just rebuild Ant so that it
uses ApacheParser by default instead of SunParser?  If I get the time I'll
look into it over the weekend.

A few months ago I wrote an OpenXML parser implementation for Ant (I didn't
have Xerces working and objected to having 3 XML parsers) and I managed to
get that working fine.

Ross Burton

"Thirty days with a crew of viral masochists and a ship that thinks it's a
cuddly toy."
 - Diziet Embless Sma, 'Use of Weapons' - Iain M. Banks

Slipstream: http://come.to/slipstream
The Culture: http://come.to/theculture
ICQ: 5167146

Re: concurrent hits

Posted by Laurent Eskenazi <le...@mail.inforama.fr>.
Hi!

I just seen your message and I found that I have the same problem...have you
found a way to avoid such errors ?

Thanks

Laurent

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Terry Paddy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for v1.7, *great*. But it's time I learnt more about the installation
> instead of the trial and error method I've been using to date.
>
> I downloaded Cocoon-1.7.zip and installed (unzipped) it on my Win98 machine.
> I read the new install instructions and noted that Xerces, Xalan, FOP are
> all included.
>
> I noticed 2 more files in /lib (I see I don't need to worry about ant.jar
> and stylebook..jar as I'm not building the beast).
> xml.jar  an xml parser
> servlet_2_2.jar the servlet engine 2.2

xml.jar (Sun ProjectX) is required by ant. We might remove that
dependency in the future.

also servlet 2.2 is required by Cocoon, even if it works under 2.1 and
2.0

> OK, my development machine is a Linux 6.1/Apache1.3.9/JServe1.1 machine so I
> copied the appropriate jar(s) to the server location and set
> jserv.properties as follows
>
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/lib/apache/libexec/ApacheJServ.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/JSDK2.0/lib/jsdk.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/HTML.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/mm.mysql.jdbc-2.0pre4/mysql_2_uncomp.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/lib/tools.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/Cocoon.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/fop_0_12_1.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/xalan_0_19_4.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/xerces_1_0_1.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/xml.jar
> wrapper.classpath=/usr/local/java/servlet_2_2.jar

remove the servlet_2.2 since you already have what you need. Also
xml.jar can be left out.

> and rebooted.
>
> 1.      I would have thought that servlet_2_2.jar would conflict with jsdk.jar
> and so I shouldn't load servlet_2_2.jar

No, jvms look for the _first_ instance of a class. so while jsdk.jar
appears _before_ servlet_2.2 you should be fine. Anyway, I suggest you
to remove it.

> 2.      xml.jar (the parser) wasn't anywhere in cocoon-1.6, so why is that here
> now? (What did I miss)

It's required by ant.

> After loading the cocoon index.html page, if I select the "Cocoon Status
> Page" I get a HTTP 404 error. I know Cocoon.xml is generated so that says
> Cocoon is not working.
>
> Selecting "Live Samples" gives
> "Publishing Engine could not be initialized"
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Error creating
> org.apache.cocoon.producer.ProducerFromMap: class is not found
>         at org.apache.cocoon.framework.Manager.create(Manager.java, Compiled Code)

Always update the cocoon.properties file until cocoon2 is out.

> Sorry for the basic questions, but I've gotta start somewhere ;-)
> Once I've got it all running, I'm keen to write an "idiots guide to
> installation" for 'technically challenged' people like me. I would like to
> contribute somehow!

I will welcome that.

> Terry
> Christchurch - New Zealand

Oh, no, wait.... you're from New Zealand.... I'll welcome it only if
"Luna Rossa" wins tonight :)

[for you land people: Luna Rossa is the Italian ship that is in the
Americans Cup finals with New Zealand's Black Magic... and Black Magic
is kicking our asses big time... :( 2 - 0

Anyway, I'll watch it over later tonight in my tv-tuner during coding
since the time shift is pretty bad... it forces me to stay up late even
more than you guys :)

well, sorry for the navy noise :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Alain Tixier wrote:

> >I just installed Apache 1.3.11, JServ 1.1, Cocoon 1.7, NT 4.0 (patch -
> >probably 4 - do not remember), Netscape 4.6 and I have exactly the same
> >problem. Everything else seems to work fine (other than the VRML and
> >VoxML on the bottom but I am probably missing a plugin there)
>
> Hello,
> I experience exactly the same problem with Solaris 2.6, Apache 1.3.9, JServ
> 1.1, Cocoon 1.7. (clean-page.xml doesn't work). Error_log contains the
> following text:
>
> XSL Warning: xsl:stylesheet requires a 'version' attribute!
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:attribute. The
> attribute will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:attribute. The
> attribute will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
> will be ignored.
> XSL Warning: xsl:stylesheet requires a 'version' attribute!
>
> My pages have the same problem and the same list of messages (they work
> fine with cocoon-1.6.1 ...). They are contructed on the same model as
> clean-page.xml !

We found the problem: Xalan 0.19.4/5 requires the XSLT pages to have a
version="1.0" attribute.

It will be fixed in a new bugfix release coming up this week.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by David Herring <da...@micromuse.com>.

Hi,

I too get this same issue with RedHat Linux 6.1 and Tomcat v3.1M1 + Cocoon1.7.

Everythind else is working like a charm - good job!

rgds dave

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Alain Tixier <al...@laposte.fr>.
At 01:55 26/02/00 -0600, Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> > > Also in my samples the "First XSP Page (pure content version)" shows the
> > > 'table' but has no 'request data' in the right hand columns of the table.
> > > The other 2 XSP examples work fine.
>
>I just installed Apache 1.3.11, JServ 1.1, Cocoon 1.7, NT 4.0 (patch -
>probably 4 - do not remember), Netscape 4.6 and I have exactly the same
>problem. Everything else seems to work fine (other than the VRML and
>VoxML on the bottom but I am probably missing a plugin there)

Hello,
I experience exactly the same problem with Solaris 2.6, Apache 1.3.9, JServ
1.1, Cocoon 1.7. (clean-page.xml doesn't work). Error_log contains the
following text:

XSL Warning: xsl:stylesheet requires a 'version' attribute!
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:attribute. The
attribute will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:attribute. The
attribute will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:logic. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: Could not resolve namespace prefix: xsp:expr. The attribute
will be ignored.
XSL Warning: xsl:stylesheet requires a 'version' attribute!

My pages have the same problem and the same list of messages (they work
fine with cocoon-1.6.1 ...). They are contructed on the same model as
clean-page.xml !

Thank you for your help.

Alain Tixier
alain.tixier@laposte.fr

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> <snip>
>

> > > Also in my samples the "First XSP Page (pure content version)" shows the
> > > 'table' but has no 'request data' in the right hand columns of the table.
> > > The other 2 XSP examples work fine.
> >
> > That is _very_ strange. It worked just fine on every system I tried it
> > on.... and nobody else said this.... what is your system?
>
> I just installed Apache 1.3.11, JServ 1.1, Cocoon 1.7, NT 4.0 (patch -
> probably 4 - do not remember), Netscape 4.6 and I have exactly the same
> problem. Everything else seems to work fine (other than the VRML and
> VoxML on the bottom but I am probably missing a plugin there)
>
> Regards, Milan

I'll double check, then.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Milan Zimmermann <mz...@worldchat.com>.
Hello,

<snip>

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Terry Paddy wrote:

> I'm sure its something simple (& dumb!) I'm doing here ...
>
> >Hmmmm, strange. Make sure you do ApJServAction .xml
> >/servlet/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon or equivalent...
> In a Virtual host defn in httpd.conf
>
>   ApJServMount /servlets /ms
>   Action cocoon /servlets/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
>   AddHandler cocoon xml
>
> In ms.properties
> repositories=/home/www/mysite/htdocs/ms,/home/www/common,/usr/local/java/Coc
> oon.jar

You should place Cocoon in your classpath!

> >You might try to put a fake page there and see who
> >picks it up.
> Sorry, don't follow?

Write a Cocoon.xml file and place it into your htdocs directory and we
if the web server sends it directly or if it's picked up by Cocoon!

> >> Also in my samples the "First XSP Page (pure content version)" shows the
> >> 'table' but has no 'request data' in the right hand columns of the table.
> >> The other 2 XSP examples work fine.
> >
> >That is _very_ strange. It worked just fine on every system I tried it
> >on.... and nobody else said this.... what is your system?
> K6 II 450mHz box
> Linux 6.1
> Apache 1.3.9
> JServ 1.1
>
> On Cocoon 1.6 all three of these XSP's worked fine. Now the "pure content
> version" has no data.

> Also looking at the VoXML example, it just returns tagged data ..
>   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
> - <DIALOG>
> - <STEP NAME="init">
>   <PROMPT>This is my first voice enabled Cocoon page!</PROMPT>
> - <INPUT TYPE="OPTIONLIST">
>   <OPTION NEXT="#init">repeat</OPTION>
>   <OPTION NEXT="#goodbye">goodbye</OPTION>
>   </INPUT>
>   </STEP>
> - <STEP NAME="goodbye">
>   <PROMPT>Goodbye</PROMPT>
>   <INPUT NEXT="#end" TYPE="NONE" />
>   </STEP>
>   </DIALOG>
> - <!--  This page was served from cache in 2 milliseconds by Cocoon 1.7
>   -->
>
> Is this right? Or should it be processed?

No, you should hit this with Motorola VoXML processor, read the faq!

> If Cocoon won't processing properly (because of my set-up) could everything
> I'm seeing be how *IE5* presents the .xml files sent directly to it?

Yes. IE5 sees it as XML and displays it as the usual DOM tree. Like for
the Wap example, you need a browser that understands that markup.

Cocoon cannot process that markup on the server side since voXML is
interactive and not simple text->speach markup.

> >Thanks, BTW, I always wished to visit New Zealand... maybe one day when
> >I have time... and money :)
>
> With the current exchange rate NZ$1 = US$0.48 you should be here now
> watching the Yachting :-) but then I'd never get cocoon working!

We lost again :( damn it! 3 - 0 another night wasted...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

flow of info between producers/processors for a newbie

Posted by "K. Rumman Akhter" <ka...@sputnik7.com>.
i really want to understand the function of producers and processors. how do
i post data to a "certain" producer and have it route to a certain
"processor". i think (might be wrong) the cocoon-process pi in the main xml
file assigns the processer but what about the producer? i and trying to set
up a simple producer and processor so that when i post (or get) a string by
html forms,  i want the producer to capitalize the string and return it in a
simple xml to a process that just makes an html file with the string as a
heading. it should not be too complicated, but i want to better understand
the flow of information in cocoon. any advice would be helpful...

Rumman

Re: whitepaper

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Michele Bianchi wrote:

> hi!
>
> i saw on the new website (1.7) that you mention a "whitepaper".  where can i
> get it!??!?!

It's supposed to be the "technology" link.

in the XML there is a link to it... but since this is a "soft" Xlink and
Stylebook doesn't handle those yet... I had to remove them during doc
creation.

Maybe I should change that line.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

whitepaper

Posted by Michele Bianchi <mi...@research.telcordia.com>.
hi!

i saw on the new website (1.7) that you mention a "whitepaper".  where can i
get it!??!?!

tia

michele

michele bianchi - telcordia technologies               http://mic.aesthetica.it
445 south street, mcc 1d316r                                  t +1 973 829 4117
morristown, nj 07960                                          f +1 973 829 5981

RE: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Terry Paddy <te...@rostersetc.com>.
I'm sure its something simple (& dumb!) I'm doing here ...

>Hmmmm, strange. Make sure you do ApJServAction .xml
>/servlet/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon or equivalent...
In a Virtual host defn in httpd.conf

  ApJServMount /servlets /ms
  Action cocoon /servlets/org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon
  AddHandler cocoon xml

In ms.properties
repositories=/home/www/mysite/htdocs/ms,/home/www/common,/usr/local/java/Coc
oon.jar

>You might try to put a fake page there and see who
>picks it up.
Sorry, don't follow?

>> Also in my samples the "First XSP Page (pure content version)" shows the
>> 'table' but has no 'request data' in the right hand columns of the table.
>> The other 2 XSP examples work fine.
>
>That is _very_ strange. It worked just fine on every system I tried it
>on.... and nobody else said this.... what is your system?
K6 II 450mHz box
Linux 6.1
Apache 1.3.9
JServ 1.1

On Cocoon 1.6 all three of these XSP's worked fine. Now the "pure content
version" has no data.

Also looking at the VoXML example, it just returns tagged data ..
  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- <DIALOG>
- <STEP NAME="init">
  <PROMPT>This is my first voice enabled Cocoon page!</PROMPT>
- <INPUT TYPE="OPTIONLIST">
  <OPTION NEXT="#init">repeat</OPTION>
  <OPTION NEXT="#goodbye">goodbye</OPTION>
  </INPUT>
  </STEP>
- <STEP NAME="goodbye">
  <PROMPT>Goodbye</PROMPT>
  <INPUT NEXT="#end" TYPE="NONE" />
  </STEP>
  </DIALOG>
- <!--  This page was served from cache in 2 milliseconds by Cocoon 1.7
  -->

Is this right? Or should it be processed?

If Cocoon won't processing properly (because of my set-up) could everything
I'm seeing be how *IE5* presents the .xml files sent directly to it?

>Thanks, BTW, I always wished to visit New Zealand... maybe one day when
>I have time... and money :)

With the current exchange rate NZ$1 = US$0.48 you should be here now
watching the Yachting :-) but then I'd never get cocoon working!

regards ... Terry

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

------------------------- http://ApacheConX-Mozilla-Status: 0009----

RE: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Terry Paddy <te...@rostersetc.com>.
OK Stefano, perfect!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Posted by Craig Altenburg <cr...@blueridge.com>.

--
Craig Altenburg

RE: Installing Cocoon 1.7

Make sure you are using new cocoon.properties file and that should resolve
your
problem.

Raj

Re: Installing Cocoon 1.7