Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "W. Nathaniel Mills, III" <na...@classobjects.com> on 2004/12/19 01:40:44 UTC

Re: [mailinglists] Slow SAX parse when using schema validation?

Perhaps it was slow because your email program was so busy sending the same note so many times... ;^)

Saturday, December 18, 2004 3:54 PM
To: xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org
cc:
From: Curtiss Howard <cu...@gmail.com>

Just for unscientific benchmarking purposes, I tried timing a DOM and
SAX parse of the same file with the same settings (grammar pool on,
don't generate PSVI, etc.). Both parsers use schema validation.

For a small file, SAX only had a 20% performance advantage over DOM.
I'd expected much more. Surprisingly enough, as I increased the size
of the file being parsed, the performance advantage _narrowed_, not
widened, as I'd expected. Obviously the parse is going to be somewhat
slow due to schema validation, but I'm confused as to why SAX is
performing so poorly compared to DOM. Can anyone shed some light on
this?

Thanks,

Curtiss Howard